Words that start with Ab are commonly used prefixes in the English language. Adding the prefix Ab to a word gives an opposite or negative meaning to the root words for kids. Ab means “not” or “away.” However, not all words that start with Ab are words that have a prefix attached to them. You can explore two to five letter words that start with Ab for kids and eventually move on to complex ones.
Some of the words that start with ab cannot be broken down any further. For example abs, able, abrupt, etc. Few Examples,
- Absent: Not present or “away” from somewhere a person needs to be present.
- Aberrant: Not good conduct or someone’s conduct that is “away” from acceptable conduct.
- Abnormal: Not normal or “away” from being normal.
List Of Words That Start With Ab
Explore More Words That Start With Ab
Explore a list of words that start with ab for kids so that they can read and recognize words effectively. These are the most commonly used words. In elementary school, kids can learn four to five words that start with ab. Once they reach third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade, they already know about root words and affixes. In upper elementary school, help your child to expand their vocabulary list of words starting with Ab. Here is the list of words that start with ab mentioned below.
4 Letter Words That Start With Ab
5 Letter Words That Start With Ab
6 Letter Words That Start With Ab
7 Letter Words That Start With Ab
8 Letter Words That Start With Ab
9 Letter Words That Start With Ab
Descriptive Words That Start With Ab
Adding the prefix Ab to a root word also turns it into an adjective. Here are some examples with their meanings to help you understand.
|Absorbent||Able to soak up liquid easily|
|Able||Having the power, skill, talent, strength, means, or opportunity to do something|
|Abundant||Plentiful or available in large quantities|
|Abloom||Covered in blooms or flowers|
|Abnormal||Not normal; not typical or usual or regular|
|Aboveground||Above the surface of the ground|
|Abstract||Existing in thought or as an idea without having a physical or concrete existence|
|Abysmal||Unfathomable depth, so deep as to be unmeasurable|
|Abominable||Exceptionally bad or displeasing|
|Abreast||Being up to date or to a particular standard or level, especially in knowledge|
|Abiding||Enduring or long-lasting|
|Abridged||Shortened or condensed (usually texts)|
|Aboral||Opposite to or away from the mouth|
|Abashed||Feeling embarrassed, disconcerted, or ashamed|
|Abuzz||Filled with a continuous humming sound, like the sound of a bee|
Activities That Help In Learning Words That Start With Ab
To enhance vocabulary skills among children, it is important to engage them with some interesting activities. This will help them to focus on what they are learning while having fun. Some of the activities that help in learning words that start with ab are mentioned below:
- Practice worksheets: This is the best tool for kids to practice vocabulary words. You can make work on words that start with using worksheets in a creative way. With these worksheets for kids, they can match, color, cut and paste the words for better retention.
- Play pictionary: Engage kids with interesting games so that they can understand the words that they are learning. Make a group of two, ask one of the kids to draw a picture for the words that start with ab assigned to them. The kids from the same group have to guess the word depicted in the form of illustration. If they are successful in guessing the word, the points will be awarded. The game will continue till the winner is declared with the maximum number of points secured. Also, explore pictionary words for kids.
Looking for more words and vocabulary activities to aid in your kids learning? Osmo has a wide variety of activities, games, word lists, and worksheets for kids – describing words for kids, plural nouns worksheet and root words for kids.
Frequently Asked Questions on Words That Start With Ab
What are the Words That Start With Ab?
The Words That Start With Ab are Absorb, Abundant, Abdominal, Absorbent, Absent. Absentees, Absurd, Ability, Above, Abrasions, Abbreviation, Abundance, Ablaze, About, etc.
What are the 5 letter Words That Start With Ab?
These are the 5 letter Words That Start With Ab, Abort, Aback, Abide, About, Abbas, Abase, Abode, etc.