Words That Start With Wh
One of the most important words in the English language are Wh words for kids. When you teach W words for kids, ensure that you teach them these Wh words for kids. These words are crucial to form questions in the English language. Children are always brimming with curiosity. You can often find them looking for ways to ask you several questions about everything that intrigues them. When you teach them words that start with Wh, it becomes a lot easier for them to express this curiosity in words.
Teaching your child words that start with Wh can be easy and even fun! It might be a little confusing to understand for young learners initially, but we assure you that they’ll get the hang of it soon.
List Of Wh words for kids:
Words That Start With Wh: Fill in the Blanks
To test your child’s understanding of words that start with Wh, try these fill in the blank questions.
- I forgot to ask her ______ she lives.
- Can you tell me ______ time it is?
- _____ are you late?
- ______ is at the door?
- _______ was the last time you ate pizza?
- With _____ am I speaking?
- _____ one should I choose?
- _______ clothes are these?
Some More Wh Words for Kids
Apart from the question words, here are some more Wh words for kids:
Wh Words for Kids: How to Teach Them
- Ask concrete questions and use cues. For example you could point at the object when you’re asking a question. As in, when you ask them “what are you playing with?”, point to the object (let’s say a ball) in their hand. Once your child has mastered the “object” labels, move on to “action” labels. As in, you could ask “what is your dad doing?” The action word could probably be cooking, cycling, and so on.
- Expand on basic single word answers. If you ask them a question like “where are you going?” and they respond with “school”, repeat after them and say “Yes! You are going to school”.
- Use picture books. This is a great way to check if your child has understood the words that start with wh for kids. Look at various images in the book and ask your kid any Wh questions you like. Use a combination of both object and action labels.
- Cut pictures from magazines. First, make various columns on a sheet of paper for each category of a Wh word. Then, cut up different pictures from magazines and ask your kids to place these pictures in the right column. For example, if you cut a picture of a girl, it will go in the “who” column. If you cut a picture of a ball, it will go to the “what” column, and so on.
- Have daily conversations using Wh words. Ask your child questions throughout the day like “Which book did you read today?” and “When did you go to the park today?” , etc.
Frequently Asked Questions on Wh Words for Kids
What are some of the Wh Words for Kids?
Some of the Wh Words for Kids are what, why, when, which, who, whose, where, whom, whole, wheat, wheel, whistle, whiskers, whip, white, whether, whisper, whirl, etc. These are some of the Wh Words for Kids.
What are some of the examples of fill in the blank for Wh Words for Kids?
Some of the examples of fill in the blank for Wh Words for Kids are I forgot to ask him ______ he lives. ______ is at the gate? _______ was the last time you ate a burger?