Wondering which vocabulary words for kids are most commonly used in everyday life? We’ve got a complete list of such vocabulary words for kids in this article.
These are important words that kids mostly use in their writing too, so it’s always a good idea to introduce them to these words and test how well they can spell them, early on. Refer to this list of Vocabulary Words for Kids to check your child’s understanding of various words and their meanings.
Important Vocabulary Words for Kids
Here are some great vocabulary words for kids that are used in our day-to-day lives.
Vocabulary Words for Kids By Grade:
- Vocabulary Words for Kids of Grade 1
- Vocabulary Words for Kids of Grade 2
- Vocabulary Words for Kids of Grade 3
Vocabulary Words for Kids of Grade 1:
Vocabulary Words for Kids Grade 2:
Vocabulary Words for Kids Grade 3:
Now that we’ve listed some commonly used vocabulary words for kids of different grades, try these fun vocabulary activities!
Fill in the Blanks To Test Your Knowledge on Vocabulary Words for Kids:
Every day, or once every few days, try this vocabulary exercise with your child where you ask them to fill in the blanks. All they have to do is pick an appropriate word from the list and fill in the blanks. This will help you understand how well they know the meaning of the words.
For example, check out these sentences:
- I _____ hungry.
- You must _____ to school.
- _____ you have your breakfast?
- ______ is your name?
I ______ pizza.
- Sam wants to _____ his bike.
- Go out and ______.
- There’s dirt on your _______.
- She ______ it was Monday, but it was Wednesday.
- Your family ______ about you.
- 5 years _____, I had gone to the zoo.
- I can’t believe you _____ my birthday!
- I _____ a pretty dress last month.
- How long has it _______ since you met Nancy?
- You must cut the apple with a _______.
- There’s ______ coming out of the fireplace!
- That _____ flying in the sky is so pretty.
- If I could run ______ to Paris, I would.
- Do you have _____ idea how to solve this problem?
- I will give you a _____ once I get home.
- I am _____ so happy.
Kids must fill in these blanks referring to the following vocabulary words for kids:
Thought, Ago, Am, Bird, Like, Feeling, Any, Been, Go, Call, Smoke, Cares, Play, Forgot, What, Bought, Face, Knife, Did, Ride, Away
Word of the Day – One Of The Best Way to Teach Vocabulary Words for Kids
Referring to our list of good vocabulary words for kids, assign a word to your child to use during the day. The more times they use the word, the better! Make sure they’re using the word correctly too.
Roll a Die
For this awesome activity, all you have to do is make a few flashcards with different vocabulary words for kids on them, and ask your child to pick any one of them. You must also assign an activity to each number. (1-6 because a die has up to 6 numbers) If a child rolls number 2, that number could denote an activity such as “define the word”, or “draw the word”, or “act it out”, or so on.