Have you noticed kids playing with soil in the garden or the backyard of your home? They enjoy playing with mud by mixing water and making different structures. But, they might not be aware of the different types of soil found on the Earth and their importance in the environment. Kids, especially in the third grade, need to learn about soil and how it maintains the ecological balance in nature. Therefore, you can download soil worksheets for grade 3 to teach them the importance of soil creatively. These worksheets for kids are a great way to enhance their scientific knowledge.
Soil is a naturally occurring resource that supports life on Earth. It helps plant growth and is a habitat for many plants, animals, humans and other organisms. It is a mixture of organic matter, gas, microorganisms, minerals and water. It would be great if you could teach all the important information about soil to kids in grade 3 with the help of worksheets. These science worksheets enable children to learn and understand the concept effortlessly. Therefore, you can use soil worksheets for grade 3 to teach children about soil and its properties.
Check science worksheets related articles:
|Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet||Water Cycle Worksheet|
|Body Part Worksheet||5 Senses Worksheet|
|States of Matter Worksheet||Earth Day Worksheets|
|Seasons Worksheets||Parts of a Plant Worksheets|
Free Printable Soil Worksheets for Grade 3
Teaching children about natural resources they find around them is very important. It becomes challenging sometimes for kids in kindergarten or elementary school to understand the concept. In such cases, worksheets play an important role in enhancing children’s scientific knowledge for better learning outcomes. The soil is one of the important resources that children learn about in their school curriculum. To help them retain information about soil and its types, properties and importance, you can download soil worksheets for grade 3. Some free printable soil worksheets for grade 3 are given below:
Write the layers of soil on the worksheet given below
Help your little ones write the layers of soil in the space provided below. Kids learn to recognize and write the spellings of layers of soil correctly.
Label the images on the worksheet given below
Help your children label the layers of soil for the illustrated images on the worksheet. Check out the classification of soil worksheet for kids given below.
Write your observations about soil on the worksheet given below
Allow kids to explore different layers of soil and write their descriptions on the worksheets. Kids need to write the color, texture and particle size of the soil in the space provided. Besides this, they can also paste the picture of soil on the worksheet.
Types of Soil Worksheets for Grade 3
There are different ways through which you can teach about soil to children. Using the same worksheets might create boredom in children. Therefore, you can use different kinds of worksheets to help children understand the concepts interestingly and creatively. The different types of soil worksheets for grade 3 are mentioned below:
- Label the layers of soil: In this worksheet, you need to ask kids to label the layers of soil on the space provided. They need to carefully look into the images and label them correctly.
- Write the components of soil: In this worksheet, kids must write the names of the components of soil, for example, water, microorganisms, air, organic matter, etc.
- Write the properties of soil: In this worksheet, you need to show a few handfuls of different kinds of soil to kids. They need to see and feel the soil to write the properties, for example, color and texture, to learn the differentiation of soil.
- Choose the correct answers: In this worksheet, kids must answer the given questions. The questions will have three options, and they need to choose the right answer. For example, which type of soil is used for making pots? The options are sandy, clayey and loamy. Kids should choose and write the correct option on the worksheet. These worksheets enable kids’ critical thinking while choosing the correct answers.
- Fill in the blanks: In this worksheet, kids must fill in the blanks in the sentences with the correct answer. For example, the soil is made up of organic matter, ______ and organisms. The answer is water. Similarly, you can create such questions for the kids to increase their knowledge about soil and its types.
- Color the layers of soil: In this worksheet, you can ask kids to color the layers of soil using different colors. In this way, they learn to distinguish between the layers and retain the information in their memory forever. Moreover, it enables them to enhance their coloring skills.
- Matching the layers of soil: In this worksheet, kids must match the layers of soil correctly. This will help them recall and critically think about the different layers of soil they have learned or explored before. This is the best way to teach the concepts you want them to know.
Types of Layers of Soil
The soil on the Earth formed in different layers are also known as the horizon. To help children practice worksheets, you can teach types of layers of soil to kids so that they can resolve them efficiently. The different types of layers of soil are mentioned below:
- The O – Horizon: This is the topmost layer of the soil, also known as topsoil. The soil is made of organic matter and materials, such as leaves, rocks, microorganisms, etc. The color of the soil is generally dark brown. The organisms usually found in the soil are earthworms, fungi, bacteria, millipedes, etc.
- The A – Horizon: This is the layer formed below the topsoil. This layer is also known as the subsoil. It is made up of organic matter and is rich in minerals. The soil color is slightly lighter than the topsoil, and the texture is generally harder than O – horizon. It consists of less humus than the topsoil. Besides this, the soil contains a maximum amount of iron oxides.
- The C – Horizon: This is the layer formed below the subsoil. The soil of this layer is extremely hardier than the topsoil. The layer of the soil is made up of stones and rocks and no organic matter. This layer is also known as the bedrock or the parent rock.
Importance of Soil in the Environment
The importance of soil in the environment are mentioned below:
- The soil is one of the important factors for plants to grow. It provides essential nutrients to the roots of the plants for their growth and development.
- The soil is a habitat for some plants, animals, insects, microorganisms and other living and nonliving things to live.
- The soil protects the plants from erosion and stores water for the plants to grow.
- The soil helps in regulating the temperature of the Earth.
- The fertile soil provides good amounts of agricultural yields for the farmers.
We hope this article on soil worksheets for grade 3 worksheets was useful to you. To learn more about activities, worksheets and games, explore literacy games for kids, puzzles for kids, kids learning sections at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Soil Worksheets for Grade 3
What are some soil worksheets for grade 3?
Some soil worksheets for grade 3 are labeling the layers of soil, writing the properties of soil, identifying and coloring the layers of soil.
What are the benefits of soil worksheets for grade 3?
The benefits of soil worksheets for grade 3 kids are that it helps them learn about different layers of soil and their properties and importance in the environment. Most importantly, it develops children’s cognitive, fine motor and creative skills.