Does your child know about sensory words? They must be aware of the five senses, such as sound, sight, touch, taste and smell. However, they might not be familiar with sensory words. These sensory words enhance your child’s writing skills with new vocabulary related to the senses. For example, you can describe the taste as sweet, sight as bright, touch as slimy and sound as thumping. These vocabulary words for kids are extremely important for kids to enhance their language skills for better communication.
- Sensory Words List for Kids
- Examples of Sensory Words in Sentences
- Ways to Learn Sensory Words for Kids
- Benefits of Learning Sensory Words for Kids
- Frequently Asked Questions on Sensory Words for Kids
Kids must get acquainted with new words to upgrade their vocabulary knowledge. These words for kids help them develop reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. They tend to make excellent and meaningful communication with others. Most importantly, the quality of content or information children speak or write will become effective. Sensory words describe the senses of the human body effectively. It would be best to teach them sensory words in different ways or activities for better understanding.
Check word related articles:
|Sight Words for Kids||Compound Words for Kids|
|Opposite Words for Kids||Root Words for Kids|
|Describing Words for Kids||Multiple Meaning Words|
Sensory Words List for Kids
Learning sensory words enables children to create a relation with the five senses. It provides a deeper understanding of the information they want to convey through different vocabulary words. These words provide clarity on the information that you want to convey to others. Apart from teaching 2 to 3 letter words for kids, you can focus on teaching sensory words with the help of engaging activities. Here is a list of sensory words for kids given below:
List of Sensory Words of Smell, Sound and Taste
List of Sensory Words of Sight and Touch
Examples of Sensory Words in Sentences
Some examples of sensory words in sentences are mentioned below:
- The texture of the cloth is very smooth.
- The light of the tube light is very dim.
- The tomato sauce is very tangy.
- The leftover vegetables in the refrigerator got rotten.
- My hair is very oily today.
- I can hear dogs barking outside the gate.
- I drank hot chocolate coffee today.
- The food prepared by my mother was very delicious.
- I carried heavy loads of carton boxes today.
- Children in the playground are screaming.
- The smoothie prepared by me turned into sugary syrup.
- I helped my mother in preparing yummy food for the Halloween party.
- I cannot see the blurry images.
- I ate creamy and cheesy pasta at a restaurant.
- You must use moisturizer for dry skin.
- Keep your coloring pages below the hard surface of your home.
- Today is bright and a sunny day.
- I baked fluffy cupcakes today.
Ways to Learn Sensory Words for Kids
Some of the ways to learn sensory words are mentioned below:
- Act it out: In this particular activity, you need to act out sensory words to kids. Then, they should guess the words that you are trying to say. This is a fun activity for kids to learn new words.
- Search words: Kids are very inquisitive about knowing things around them. Why not conduct an activity that enhances their curiosity and enables them to learn something new. Provide word search puzzles for kids to find the hidden sensory words. Kids need to search the letters of the words assigned left and right, and top and bottom.
- Play pictionary: This is the coolest activity for kids to learn sensory words. You need to draw an image related to the sensory words on the board. Kids must guess the words illustrated on the board. Once they successfully guess the word, kids need to frame a sentence with the sensory words. Explore pictionary words for kids here.
Benefits of Learning Sensory Words for Kids
Some of the benefits of learning sensory words for kids are mentioned below:
- It helps children gain vocabulary knowledge.
- It develops good communication skills in children.
- It boosts the confidence of children to communicate well with others.
- It develops reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
- It helps children to develop cognitive skills with engaging vocabulary activities.
Frequently Asked Questions on Sensory Words
What are some of the sensory words?
Some of the sensory words for kids are: smell (earthy, burnt, stinky, rotten, aromatic, etc.), sound (buzzing, gargling, humming, roar, hush, etc.), taste (sweet, salty, bland, sugary, flavorless, etc.), sight (dim, flashy, glowing, glossy, blurry, etc.) and touch (feathery, smooth, hairy, lumpy, slimy, etc.).
What are the benefits of learning sensory words?
The benefits of learning sensory words are that it helps children develop good vocabulary and language skills. Besides this, they learn to use appropriate sensory words to make meaningful sentences.