Preschool Shapes Worksheets are one of the most important ways to teach preschoolers the concept of shapes. These math worksheets for kids are a great tool for teachers to create a positive and engaging math learning environment for preschoolers. They can give suitable study materials and assist the kids in understanding math concepts. Mathematics can be a part of daily activities, interactions, and routines in preschool.
In preschool, kids learn to recognize and name the shapes – namely, triangles, circles, rectangles, ovals and squares. By using blocks, books, games and posters, teachers introduce kids to different shapes and assist them in analyzing 2 and 3-dimensional shapes in different sizes and directions. In addition to this, kids can be given a set of shape tracing worksheets for kindergarten and ask them to identify the shapes by naming them.
In this article, explore:
- Identify the Shapes Worksheet for Preschoolers
- Trace and Learn Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Label and Color the Preschool Shapes Worksheets
List of Preschool Shapes Worksheets
Here is a list of worksheets for kids about shapes. These preschool shapes worksheets will help kids identify and name the different shapes around them.
Identify the Shapes Worksheet for Preschoolers
Trace and Learn Preschool Shapes Worksheets
Label and Color the Preschool Shapes Worksheets
How to Teach Shapes Recognition to Preschoolers?
The following procedures and activities can assist kids in learning to identify and compare shapes:
- Learn to identy shapes using Preschool Shapes Worksheet: Expose kids to several kinds of triangles, namely – isosceles, equilateral, right, and scalene. After discovering them in the outdoors or classroom, kids can form the triangles with colored tape. For instance, they might create right triangles in green and scalene triangles in red. When the kids can identify the shapes, teachers can introduce Osmo’s masterpiece game Shape Games for Kids.
- Introduce Math Words: Form a math concept wall or include mathematical words into the current word wall – color code the mathematical words to make it more comfortable for kids to mark them. Make sure to write mathematical words in English. Downloading the tracing shapes worksheets pdf and letting children practice is an excellent way in helping them learn shapes. Teachers can use real articles, images, and blackline drawings to represent the terms.
- Compare Shapes: Guide kids to classify various sizes of the corresponding shape. For instance, in the classroom, they can search for rectangles, such as doors, windows, shelves, books, cabinets, tabletops, and computer screens. Subsequently, help kids analyze as they match the sizes of rectangles. The door is more essential than the shelves. The cabinets are more significant than the book. However, they are all rectangles. Encourage kids to do the same with circles, triangles, and other shapes. After doing this activity, teachers can provide shape tracing worksheets and tell them to fill them in accordingly.
- Create a Shape Scape: Families and Teachers can get three-dimensional articles such as cartons, cans, balls, and boxes to make a shape scape. Kids can use cylinders (tissue paper rolls) as tree trunks, balls (spheres) as treetops, and rectangles (cereal boxes) as structures. Tracing shapes worksheets for preschool can be a part of the curriculum. Teachers and kids can work together to name the shape scape, calculate the number of shapes used, and plan additions to the building.
- Go from 2-D to 3-D: Kids can dip 3-D articles in paints and mark them on a piece of paper to make prints. Spools, cans, drinking glasses and candles work well. The kids will see the plane shapes that are on the surfaces of the objects. In addition to all these activities, introduce children to another new shape, namely – heart, and give them a heart tracing worksheet to assess their understanding.
- Learn New Vocabulary: Expose kids to words such as thin, thick, large, small, short, long, slide, facet, flip and turn in English during lunch and bite times. Give snacks with different dimensions and encourage kids to use related words when asking for food. For instance, “I need a long carrot”. Add these descriptive words to the word wall. Also, click here to improve the kids’ vocabulary activities.
Create and take apart shapes
Once the kids can precisely recognize flat (circle, square, rectangle, triangle, hexagon) and three-dimensional or solid shapes (cone, cube, sphere, cylinder), they are ready to make and then take apart shapes using supplies given by their teacher. Once children are prepared to identify both plain and solid shapes, they can be provided free shape tracing worksheets to practice.
Make a shape
Give pipe cleaners, toothpicks, craft sticks, or straws; kids can use them to create shapes. Teachers can sit with them and discuss the shapes they create. That’s a square. How could you turn it into a rectangle? Encourage kids to practice shapes tracing worksheets free.
Create new shapes
Students can stick together two or more shapes made from paper onto a white piece of paper to create other shapes. They can paste two triangles together to make a rectangle.
Create solid shapes
Children can pinch, roll, and manipulate clay or playdough to make two or more shapes. Later, they can connect their pieces to make new shapes. Along with this, they can practice the fun-oriented printable tracing shapes worksheets.Osmo also provides a wide range of Brain Games for Kids for the benefit of children.
Frequently Asked Questions on Preschool Shapes Worksheets
What are different types of Preschool Shapes Worksheets?
The different types of Preschool Shapes Worksheets are combined worksheets, tracing shapes worksheets, coloring the shapes worksheets, identifying the shapes worksheets, etc.
What are the activities that help kids to learn Preschool Shapes?
The activities that help kids to learn Preschool Shapes are helping them to recognize the shapes and name them, next allow them to compare the shapes, introduce them to simple and important math words and provide them tracing and coloring shapes worksheets for practice.