Once your children recognize numbers, introduce them to polygons for a better understanding of the geometric shapes. You can use polygon worksheets to help them familiarize themselves with the different shapes, such as a triangle, pentagon, octagon, hexagon, etc. These math worksheets for kids enable them to identify and classify polygon shapes effectively.
You can create an environment where kids enjoy their learning process with the help of polygon worksheets. Practicing polygon and 3D shapes worksheets enables children to understand the properties of shapes that differentiate them from others. Besides this, they learn to calculate the area and perimeter of polygons with accurate results. Once your children acquire knowledge of basic shapes, increase the complexity level by teaching polygons depending on their grasping abilities.
Check math worksheets related articles:
Free Printable Polygon Worksheets
You can introduce polygons to children through various means, like flashcards, puzzles, word search printables and other activities. But, polygon worksheets play an incredible role in developing children’s interest to focus and concentrate on learning the shapes. These worksheets help them identify, read and write the names of the polygons easily. Some of the free printable polygon worksheets for kids are given below:
Choose the correct answer from the given options on the worksheet
Name the polygons on the worksheet given below
Classify the polygons as regular and irregular on the worksheet given below
Types of Polygon Worksheets for Kids
The types of polygon worksheets that help children recognize, classify and solve problems related to geometric shapes are given below:
- Identify the polygons: In this worksheet, kids must identify or find the polygons from the illustrated shapes, for example, triangle, hexagon, octagon, rectangle, etc.
- Say true or false: In this activity, kids need to say true or false for the images illustrated on the worksheet. They can also recognize regular and irregular polygons to understand their difference. For example, is a rectangle a regular polygon? Yes or No. The answer is no, as it is an irregular polygon with unequal sides. You can ask such questions to increase their knowledge of polygons.
- Label the polygons: In this worksheet, kids need to write the names of the polygons below their respective images. This worksheet helps them identify the shapes easily and improve their spelling skills. Also, explore writing games for kids.
- Color the polygons: Kids enjoy coloring, and why not explore their artistic skills with polygon worksheets? You can ask kids to color the polygon shapes illustrated on the worksheets with crayons or color pencils. They learn about the shapes in detail through the coloring process. Besides this, they develop fine motor and visualization skills for a better learning experience.
- Match the polygons: In this worksheet, kids need to match the shapes with their names. They learn to recognize the shapes with the help of this exercise effectively.
- Write the properties of the polygons: In this worksheet, kids need to carefully look at the images and write the number of sides and vertices on the space provided. Besides this, they can also mention the interior angles of polygons that differentiate them from other shapes.
- Cut and paste the polygons: You can create an interesting learning environment for children with creative activities. Kids can cut and paste the polygons and non-polygons in their respective spaces. This worksheet helps them to classify the shapes appropriately.
- Classify the polygons: In this worksheet, kids need to classify the polygons into regular, irregular, concave and convex polygons. This worksheet is the best way to help them understand the difference between these polygons to build mathematical knowledge.
Check math-related articles:
|Math Coloring Worksheets||Numbers Worksheets|
|Multiplication Worksheets||Math Games for Kids|
|Number Games for Kids||Math Problems for Kids|
Different Types of Polygons
Polygons are 2D shapes with an infinite number of sides. The sides of the polygons are straight lines connected with each other at a point known as the vertex. The most common example of a polygon is a triangle consisting of three sides and vertices. Below are the types of polygons based on the sides and angles
- Regular polygon: If the sides and interior angles of the polygons are equal, they are said to be regular polygons, for example, square and rhombus.
- Irregular polygon: If the sides and interior angles of the polygons are unequal, they are said to be irregular polygons, for example, rectangle, octagon, hexagon, etc.
- Convex polygon: If all the interior angles of the polygons are below 180 degrees, they are said to be convex polygons.
- Concave polygon: If one or more anterior angles of the polygons are more than 180 degrees, they are said to be concave polygons.
List of Polygons
- Triangle: These polygons have three sides and vertices with interior angles of 60 degrees.
- Quadrilateral: These polygons have four sides and vertices with interior angles of 90 degrees.
- Pentagon: These polygons have five sides and vertices with interior angles of 108 degrees.
- Hexagon: These polygons have six sides and vertices with interior angles of 120 degrees.
- Heptagon: These polygons have seven sides and vertices with interior angles of 128.571 degrees.
- Octagon: These polygons have eight sides and vertices with interior angles of 135 degrees.
- Nonagon: These polygons have nine sides and vertices with interior angles of 140 degrees.
- Decagon: These polygons have ten sides and vertices with interior angles of 144 degrees.
Benefits of Polygon Worksheets for Kids
The benefits of polygon worksheets for kids are mentioned below:
- It helps children understand the properties of polygons.
- It enables kids to recognize, classify and name the polygon shapes systematically.
- It develops fine motor skills in children.
- It helps children solve mathematical problems related to polygons with accurate results.
- It engages children and makes them stay alert during the learning process.
- It develops creativity, problem-solving and analytical skills in children.
We hope this article on polygon worksheets for kids was useful to you. To learn more about activities, worksheets and games, explore worksheets for kids, math for kids, puzzles for kids, kids learning sections at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Polygon Worksheets
What are the polygon worksheets?
Polygon worksheets are an excellent tool for identifying, classifying and differentiating polygon shapes from others. Kids can learn the properties and recognition of polygons through coloring, identifying, matching, and labeling worksheets.
What are the benefits of polygon worksheets?
The benefits of polygon worksheets for kids are that it enables them to recognize the shapes easily. They learn to understand and solve math problems related to the polygons with the help of these worksheets. Most importantly, it inspires children to learn about polygons with dedication and enthusiasm.