500+ Words Essay On Pollution For Children
Pollution is the introduction of harmful substances in the environment. The harmful substances are called pollutants. Learning and being aware of pollution and its impact on nature is extremely important. We should know about pollution and its cause, effects, and preventive measures as responsible citizens. Needless to say, this is the most important issue that we are facing today. From kids to adults, we need to make sure that everyone is aware of the impact of pollution on the environment. With growing urbanization, pollution has become a common issue in the world. Growing demands and other anthropogenic activities are increasing the rate of pollution.
Before moving on to the effects, let us see what are the different types of pollution that are hampering mother nature. It is basically classified into the air, water, soil, and noise pollution. There is an adverse effect on living organisms and the environment due to the release of poisonous substances in the air, water, and soil. As a result of this, there is an increase in global warming, climate change, and severe health disorders in humans and animals. After understanding the harmful effects of pollution in the environment, stringent measures have been taken to overcome this global issue. In this pollution essay, we will discuss its types, effects, and preventive measures.
Types Of Pollution
We all know that pollution is the contaminants present in the natural environment. Any substances which are present in the atmosphere higher than the threshold level become harmful to the environment. The types of pollution are classified into air, water, soil, and noise.
- Air Pollution: This is generally caused when harmful substances are released in the air. It is because of the emission of poisonous gases from factories and vehicles. Apart from this, there is also release of harmful gases such as chlorofluorocarbons, aerosol, oxides of nitrogen, carbon and sulphur in the air. On account of this, there are adverse effects on the atmosphere resulting in global warming, melting of glaciers, climate change and chronic respiratory problems in humans. Also explore, Air Pollution Essay.
- Water Pollution: The hazardous pollutants are released into the water bodies such as ocean, river, pond, lakes, etc. These harmful substances are basically industrial wastes, chemical fertilizers, sewage wastes, etc. Owing to this, there is decline in the population of marine organisms, reduction in the quality of drinking water and increase in the water borne diseases.
- Soil Pollution: The contamination of land is caused by disposal of toxic materials. It includes disposal of plastics, chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and industrial waste on the land. So, there is reduction in soil fertility and agricultural productivity.
- Noise pollution: Noise pollution is basically increased because of sound from automobiles and vehicles. Because of this, there are health related issues in humans and animals. It can cause hearing problems, disturbances in sleep and stress related issues.
Effects Of Pollution
We need to understand the fact that pollution is increasing because of anthropogenic activities. As a result of this, pollution is increasing at an alarming rate. Pollution is affecting the lives of humans and other living organisms. Besides this, it is hampering nature and the environment. With the increased air, water, and soil pollution, we see a lot of changes in weather patterns, increased global warming, contamination of water resources, disposal of chemical wastes on the land, etc. All this contributes to difficulty in breathing fresh air, drinking clean water, and growing food in fertile soil.
Additionally, there are severe health-related disorders in humans and animals. It affects the life of people and their livelihood drastically. Most importantly, it affects climate change leading to forest fire, heatwave, floods, storms, etc. Some of the impacts of pollution are mentioned below:
- Reduction in soil fertility
- Increased noise pollution leads to hearing problems.
- Increased air pollution in the atmosphere will lead to respiratory problems and global warming, which results in depletion of the ozone layer.
- Increased contamination of water will lead to water borne diseases, population decline of marine lives, reduction in drinking water and irrigation practices in agriculture.
- Increased soil pollution leads to soil infertility and reduction in good agricultural yields.
How to Reduce Pollution?
To overcome the increased level of pollution in the world, one must act and take preventive measures to reduce the pollution. Now, it is important to take stringent actions so that future generations can lead safe and healthy life. Some of the following steps to reduce pollution are mentioned below:
- Create awareness among people on the impact of pollution on nature.
- Avoid using non-biodegradable things such as plastics that can pollute the environment.
- To reduce air pollution, use eco friendly fuels, plant more trees, avoid burning fuels and fire crackers.
- Avoid disposal of industrial and chemical waste on the land and water resources.
- Promote recycling of materials.
- Encourage people to plant more trees in the surrounding and neighborhood.
- Reduce the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides for agricultural practices.
- Prohibit dumping of chemical and hazardous wastes in the water resources.
- Introduce a waste management system among people.
- Plant more trees to increase oxygen levels and protect the living organisms.
Pollution is the introduction of harmful substances into the atmosphere. They are basically of four types: air, water, soil, and noise. The increased level of pollution leads to adverse effects on humans, living organisms, and the environment. Though the government has taken stringent measures to reduce pollution, we all need to stand together to take preventive steps.
We hope this pollution essay was useful to you. Check essays for kids to explore more topics.
Frequently Asked Questions On Pollution Essay
What is a pollution essay?
It is a short write-up on pollution which is defined as the release or introduction of harmful substances in the environment.
What are the types of pollution?
The four types of pollution are air, water, soil, and noise.
What are the preventive measures taken to reduce pollution?
The preventive measures to reduce pollution are planting more trees, avoiding disposal of hazardous wastes in the water, air, and soil, using eco-friendly fuel for transport, etc.