Place Value Games For Kids
Explore Fun Games To Teach Place Value
Mastering the concept of place value can be super easy with our fun place value games for kids. Isn’it? It will help kids to place numbers in ones, tens and hundreds. Needless to say, learning place value will enable kids to solve any mathematical problem easily. To do so, explore fun games to teach place value. Besides this, conduct math games for kids so that they can learn place value while having fun.
Learning place value gradually starts from 1st grade and increases the level based on the understanding of kids. You need to come up with simple tips and tricks on how to make kids understand about the place value. In this regard, conducting math activities for kids will serve the purpose of making kids engage and concentrate on what they are learning. Here are various place value games for kids of various learning stages:
Simple Place Value Interactive Games For Kids
At first, kids have to learn place value starting with ones followed by tens and hundreds. You can make them practice place value math games in a simple and understandable way. Besides this, allowing them to participate in money games for kids will also help them to learn place value effectively. Here are list of place value games for kids based on their grades mentioned below:
Place Value Games For 1st Grade
Here are a few fun place value games for 1st grade that your kids will love:
- Last Number Standing – Learn Math Through Play: First, ask kids to write down many 3-digit numbers on a sheet of paper. Next, one at a time, start calling out various place value amounts. For example, you could say “Sit down if you’ve got a 3 in the 100s place,” or “Hop on one leg if you’ve got a 5 in the 10s place”, etc. This is a really fun way to learn about place value.
- Osmo’s Number: Check out Osmo’s Numbers game for another game to master math through play. Place Value UNO.
- Best Place Value Math Games for Kids: Got a deck of UNO cards? Great, let’s get started on another fun place value game. Ask your kids to draw 3 cards one round at a time and arrange them side by side. The person with the largest number in a specific place wins that round. For example, if 2 kids are playing and one of them has a 5 in 10s place, and the other has 8 in 10s place, the latter wins.
- Building blocks: Wondering how kids will learn place value with building blocks? Well, you can turn toys into learning materials for kids. Create place models for kids with the help of building blocks in order to start teaching ones and gradually grouping 10s and 100s. Place 40 blocks on the floor by grouping them in 10s i.e., 4 pairs of blocks consisting of 10 blocks each. Now, keep four options in front of them such as 40, 30, 5, 10. Now, ask kids to count the number of 10s and the total number of blocks placed on the floor.
Place Value Games For 2nd Grade
Check out these simple place value games for 2nd grade:
- Pill Box – When Math Meets Creativity: Shop for some pill box containers at a nearby store for this fun game, along with many dice. Once you’ve got the supplies, ask your child to place one die in each compartment of the box. Then, you can tell them something along the lines of “create a number with 5 in the 100s place”. Trust us, this will really get them thinking.
- Spaghetti & Cheerios – A Combination of Math and Food: Use uncooked spaghetti and cheerios for yet another fun place value activities. Your child needs to create a “cheerio tower” (by putting the cheerios through the spaghetti strands) based on the number you dictate. For example, if you dictate number 240, they need to arrange three towers of cheerios, with 2 in 100s place, 4 in 10s place, and none in one place.
- Osmo’s Pizza: For a digital-physical game that combines math with virtual food, check out Osmo’s Pizza Co.
- Identify Place Value Numbers: At this age, kids are familiar with recognition and counting of numbers. Therefore, you can play games where kids have to identify the place value accurately. Write a particular number on the whiteboard such as 404, Now, ask kids to circle the ones, tens and hundreds on the board. If they get it right, give them points.
Place Value Games For 3rd Grade
Try these super fun place value games for 3rd grade. Seriously, they work.
- Name Place Value – Creative Place Value Math Games for Kids: Did you know that you could teach your kids about place value by just spelling names? Well, you can! For example, in the name “Nancy”, kids can figure out what letter is in 100s place, what letter is in 10s place, and so on.
- Stack Paper Cups – Fun Ways to Master Place Value Skills: Buy paper cups and number each of them. Then, ask your kids to stack them in the order of place value. For example, you could ask them to place cup #4 in 100s place, cup #2 in 1000s place, etc. You could make this game more challenging by using addition & subtraction equations too! For example, ask them to place cup #(5-2) in the 100s place, etc.
- Osmo’s Wizard: Osmo’s Math Wizard and the Magical Workshop is one such digital-physical game that develops your child’s addition & subtraction skills through hands-on play.
- Make A Number: You need to encourage your child to write numbers as per the place value system. Ask kids to practice numbers and their order correctly. You can ask kids to build numbers using ones, tens and hundreds. For example, 532, 45, 6, etc. Similarly, you can conduct decimal place value games for kids for better understanding of the concept. There are many place value games for 4th grade where they write numbers for thousands. You need to ensure active participation of all the kids in learning place value for better learning outcomes.
How To Teach Place Value Math Games?
Few tips to teach place value games for kids are mentioned below:
- Keep it simple and understandable content for kids.
- Encourage kids to read and write numbers on a regular basis.
- Conduct games that help kids to learn place value with hands-on activities and visual images.
- Provide opportunities for kids to count numbers using household materials.
- Incorporate games based on the needs and interests of children.
- Conduct games based on the learning styles and patterns of each kid.
- Encourage children to talk about numbers using real life situations.
We hope your children enjoy playing these place value games for kids! We also offer a wide range of hands-on math games for kids, stem activities for kids and puzzles for kids that fuel your child with creativity, imagination, and a drive to learn. Once you conduct these activities, focus on place value games for 5th grade.
Frequently Asked Questions on Place Value Games For Kids
What are some of the Simple Place Value Interactive Games For Kids?
Some of the Simple Place Value Interactive Games For Kids are number standing, place value math games for kids, number blocks, make a number, etc.
What are a few Place Value Games For 2nd and 3rd Grade?
Some of the Place Value Games For 2nd and 3rd Grade are pill box, cheerios and spaghetti, recognize the place values, Osmo’s pizza, Osmo’s wizard, stacking paper cups, etc.
How to teach Place Value Games for kids?
The different ways to teach Place Value Games for kids are that always make sure to keep these games simple and fun to help them in understanding the concept properly Also, motivate kids to count numbers and read the place values aloud.