Have you ever wondered how a parachute works? Before that, you must know what a parachute is. It is an umbrella-shaped equipment used for slowly landing on the ground by the skydivers. Children get excited to see a parachute or like to experience it someday. But, young children might not know how it works. Therefore, you can conduct science experiments for kids in order to learn how a parachute is made using materials available at home. Taking a parachute project helps children to think out of the box and come up with creative ideas to make a parachute in a creative way.
- What is a Parachute?
- Easy Science Project: Parachute Project
- Benefits of a Parachute Project for Children
- Frequently Asked Questions on a Parachute Project
This project helps children learn about the force of gravity that pulls a parachute and a skydiver slowly and steadily towards the ground. Therefore kids can take up this project and learn the phenomenon at which a parachute works. You can provide affordable materials for kids to make a parachute at home.
What is a Parachute?
A parachute is an equipment used for landing slowly on the ground with the help of the gravitational force and resistance of the air in the atmosphere. The large surface area of the material used helps in resisting the air in order to slow down the parachute. It is basically used by aviators for their safety purposes. If anything happens to the aircraft, the pilot can escape the mishap by using a parachute in order to land safely on the ground. A parachute is made with a lightweight and strong material that can withstand the weight of a person. The most commonly used fabric for making a parachute is nylon.
Modern skydivers and paragliders use parachutes for their recreational activities. It works due to air resistance and gravity, creating a wing-like structure that helps skydivers land on the ground smoothly. These parachutes are packed in the bag and carried by the aviators before flying. As soon as the parachute is opened, it opens into the air immediately. A parachute consists of strings attached to the toggles, which enable skydivers to control the direction of parachutes. It enables a parachute to move down or take a turn. Most importantly, these toggles attached to the string helps in slowing down the parachute smoothly without causing any hurt to skydivers.
Easy Science Project: Parachute Project
Young children enjoy watching parachutes fly in the air. They get glued to the sky whenever they see the parachute in the air. To enhance their learning experience, you can ask them to make a parachute using the materials available at home. If necessary, help them in making the perfect parachute for their school project.
Aim of the Project
To make a parachute using a nylon cloth and record the observations.
- A large piece of nylon cloth
- A scissor
- A doll
- Take a large piece of nylon cloth and cut it in the shape of a square.
- Make sure the edges of the cloth are neatly cut using a scissor under the guidance of elders.
- Make small holes in four corners of the square-shaped cloth.
- Take four strings of equal length and tie them on the edges of the cloth.
- Tie all the four strings together on the doll tightly.
- Go to the terrace or stand on a chair to drop a parachute.
- Finally, record your observations.
It was observed that a parachute dropped from the height descended slowly on the ground by resisting the air. The weight of a doll pulls the strings and resists the air in the atmosphere resulting in a safe landing on the ground.
Benefits of a Parachute Project for Children
Some of the benefits of the parachute project for children are mentioned below:
- Helps children in creating a parachute with the materials available at home.
- Develops understanding on how a parachute works.
- Creates interest in children to make a parachute by themselves.
- Enables children to critically think and make decisions on how to create a parachute.
- Enhances the learning experience for children.
- Teaches children to follow instructions and procedures effectively in order to successfully complete a parachute project.
- Keeps children physically active and busy while making a parachute.
- Enables children to understand the reason behind landing a parachute smoothly on the ground.
- Develops cognitive skills in children.
- Helps children in understanding the importance of a parachute for aviators and people working in recreational activities such as skydivers and paragliders.
Frequently Asked Questions on a Parachute Project
What is a parachute project?
A parachute project enables kids to perform an experiment by making a parachute with the materials easily available at home. It enables them to understand the phenomenon of how a parachute works and what are the factors that make it slowly land on the ground.
What are the benefits of a parachute project?
The benefits of a parachute project are that it helps children in learning about the equipment used for a safe landing on the ground by the aviators. Most importantly, it helps children actively participate in performing an experiment on a parachute and seeing the mechanism at which it lands on the ground.