Fun And Easy Number Line Games For Kids
In Math, a number line can be defined as a straight line on which numbers are marked at equal intervals. The number line is used to illustrate simple numerical operations. Teaching number line for kids will enable them to solve mathematical problems accurately. Therefore, you can check easy number line games for kids. Besides this, conduct math games for kids so that they can get acquainted with numbers in a creative way.
Ordering numbers on the number line is an important skill that every kindergarten kid must know. The concept of the number line would be used in higher classes. The Kindergarten number line is used for addition and subtraction. These number line games will enable kids to learn numbers and at the same time have fun. It is obvious that kids like math activities that are engaging and entertaining. Therefore, incorporate number line activities in their curriculum.
List Of Number Line For Kids
- Kindergarten Number Line: A number line for kids starts with 0 and can end up to infinity. The number line given above is 0 to 10. Similarly, you can draw till 20, 30, 40 and so on. The numbers on the number line increase as we move from left to right and decrease as we move from right to left.
- Elementary Number Line: Wondering how to teach number lines to second graders? Teach them how to perform basic operations on the number line. Suppose we need to add two numbers- 5 + 3. We will move three arrows ahead and come onto 8. Hence, 8 is the right answer. Similarly, subtraction can also be performed on the number line. We need to move backward (right to left) in the case of subtraction. Kids also need to learn how to plot the negative numbers, fractions and decimals on the number line.
How To Teach Number Lines To Kids?
One of the popular number line games is the Human Number Line. Learn how to play the Human Number Line game.
Step 1: Use masking tape to create a long line on the floor.
Step 2: Prepare and print off all the pieces for the game that you will need.
Step 3: Cut out number signs and the game cards for your number line. You can also laminate them for durability.
Step 4: Use the masking tape to mark off the segments (0 to 10). Tape down the number signs properly.
Step 5: Make students sit or stand to have a turn. Give the stack of cards to the first person. He/she will read to the next person who will jump on the number line.
Step 6: The kid must read the math equation on the card loudly.
Step 7: Starting with 0, he/she must solve the equation by jumping on the number line.
Step 8: If his/her answer is correct, then the next person in line will get the opportunity to play.
Engaging Number Line Activities For Kindergarten
Teachers have been teaching the number sense through the number line for ages. The number line is used to solve simple arithmetic problems and other math skills. However, teaching the concepts of the number line to kindergarten kids is not an easy job. This is why kids must be engaged in numerous number line activities. Some of the activities are as follows:
List Of Number Line Activities
- Line up numbers with sticky notes: Write each number on a separate sticky note. Ask the kids to place the numbers in order on the number line. This activity can be done by older students too; try the same activity with negative numbers, fractions, or decimals.
- Create a life-size number line for activities: Build a life-size number line in the classroom. Allow kids to stand in a row like they are the numbers. This allows kids to enjoy all sorts of number line games and activities. Kids will get even more out of number lines through games.
- Line up some objects: Line up some objects like shoes, books, paints, etc. on the number line. For example, 1 book for 1, 2 books for 2, and so on.
- Design a dotted number line: Kids can use cotton swabs and make dots to represent the value of each number on a number line.
- Line up using food items: For making a number line activity, you do not need to put much effort. Rather, use household or kitchen items to teach children. You can use food items available in the kitchen such as corn, cereals, candies, etc to make a number line. While cooking, you can engage children to learn numbers in different ways.
- Draw number line on road: Kids usually play in their backyard or on the road in front of their house. You can teach numbers to kids by drawing a number line on the road using chalk. Make kids learn numbers by standing or jumping on the number line followed by reciting the number loudly. With this, they will learn the order of numbers and retain them in their memory for longer periods of time.
- Build number line: You can take building blocks and mark numbers on it. Ask kids to number blocks as per their order. In case of any difficulty, you can assist kids in making blocks in a systematic manner. With the help of building blocks, kids will be able to critically think and learn how to make number lines.
Frequently Asked Questions on Number Line for Kids
What are the number line for kids?
The number line for kids is one of the most important skills that every kid must be aware of and they teach the concept of addition and subtraction. When kids learn these number lines, they get an idea of integers and other math concepts.
What are the list of number line activities for kids?
The list of number line activities for kids are kindergarten number line, elementary number line, line up some objects, design a dotted number line, draw a number line on the road, build number line, etc.