Spices are substances that give flavor to food. You can taste different flavors of spices in the food you eat, for example, clove, cumin, cardamom, pepper, bay leaf, etc. You can use spices to season food items. Kids can recognize the taste of the spices but might not be aware of the names of spices commonly used in daily lives. Therefore, you can teach kids different names of spices creatively by conducting activities. You must ensure they recognize, read and write the names of spices correctly. Learning about species enhances their culinary skills. Besides, learning vocabulary words for kids enables them to learn new words to improve their language skills.
The spices are the roots, fruits, seeds or any other part of the plant. It is dried products used directly or in powder form. Adding spices to the food enhances the flavors and gives an extraordinary taste. Can your children name a spice used in the food? If not, you can conduct activities to teach different names of spices to kids. Besides learning the names of spices, you can teach them the names of flowers, animals, insects, etc. to improve their vocabulary knowledge.
Spice Names in English
Did you know that spices have medicinal properties that can cure illness and diseases? It is essential to intake spices in the required amount to boost our immunity system. Most importantly, it adds flavors to the food we eat. Therefore, kids must be familiar with the spices used in preparing delicious dishes. You can prepare a list of all the names of spices to teach kids. You can take a few spice names at a time for kids to understand and memorize them effectively. Besides learning the names of spices, kids will learn their importance as flavors in food items and their medicinal properties. You can conduct engaging activities to introduce spice names to kids.
List of All the Names of Spices for Kids
Below is a list of commonly used spices in food.
|Mustard seeds||Poppy seeds|
|Red chili||Black sesame|
|Curry leaves||Dried tomato|
|Flax seeds||Carom seeds|
|Black cardamom||White mustard seeds|
|Green peppercorn||Dried onion|
Free Printable Spice Names for Kids
How do your children recognize spices? Most of the time, kids do not know what spices you use in the food. They enjoy the flavors of the food they eat. Therefore, you can help little ones recognize and learn the names of spices creatively. You can download a list of all the names of species for kids. It would be really helpful for kids to learn and memorize the spices commonly used in our daily lives. You can conduct various activities to teach the names of spices to kids using the printable given below.
Also, explore spelling activities for kids.
Fun Activities to Learn the Names of Spices for Kids
Some of the interesting activities to teach kids the different names of spices are mentioned below.
- Identify the spices: In this activity, you must keep different packets of spices on the table. Kids must identify the spices by carefully looking at the packets. With this, you can help little ones recognize and learn the names of spices creatively.
- Write the names of spices: In this activity, kids must write the names of spices illustrated on the worksheets, for example, red chili, star anise, bay leaf, pepper, turmeric, etc. They must identify the spices and correctly spell them in the space provided. This will help kids to enhance their spelling skills.
- Pick up the spices: In this activity, kids must pick up the spices from the given options. For example, if you ask kids to pick up cinnamon, then they must choose the same spice kept among the other spices. This will help them recognize the spices with their names.
Benefits of Learning Spice Names for Kids
The benefits of learning the names of spices for kids are mentioned below.
- It increases children’s knowledge about spices.
- It helps children recognize, read and write the names of spices effectively.
- It improves children’s spelling skills by learning the names of spices.
- It enables children to understand the benefits of using spices in food and their medicinal properties.
- It enhances children’s culinary skills from an early age.
We hope this article on names of spices helps children. You can check out other games, activities, and worksheets on kids learning, words for kids, worksheets for kids, and holiday activities for kids section at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions Names of Spices
What are some names of common spices?
The names of some common spices for kids are; cloves, peppers, saffrons, fenugreeks, cumin seeds, cinnamons, coriander seeds, chili flakes, etc.
What are the benefits of learning the names of spices?
The benefits of learning the names of spices for kids are that it helps them recognize and learn the spelling of spices correctly. They will learn to understand the benefits of using spices in food to enhance their culinary skills.