Names of Fingers
Fingers are the most important part of the human body. There are five fingers on the hand, such as the thumb, index, middle, ring and little finger. But, kids might not know all the names of fingers. Therefore, you must teach toddlers and preschoolers about different fingers on the hand and their names in a creative way. Learning new vocabulary words for kids enables them to enhance their language skills and improve their knowledge about fingers at the same time.
It is needless to say how fingers help to carry out various activities or tasks successfully. You can write, work, clean, cook and do all other activities with the help of fingers. It offers a grip on things you handle firmly. Each finger of the hand performs specific functions in the human body. You can teach little ones the names of fingers in such a way that they identify and memorize the finger names within a fraction of a second. Therefore, you can conduct activities for kids at home to develop their understanding of different fingers on the hand.
Finger Names in English for Kids
Can your children recognize the positioning of fingers on the hand? If not, you can help little ones learn and understand the location of each finger and the specific functions they perform. For example, you can ask kids where the index finger is located or identify the finger names on the hand. You can develop effective strategies to teach the names of fingers to kids. You must ensure that the activities you plan are aesthetically pleasing for kids so that they will pay attention to what you teach them. Check out the finger names for kids mentioned in this article.
List of All the Names of Fingers for Kids
Below is a list of names of the fingers to help kids learn and understand them effectively.
- Thumb finger: This is the biggest and thickest finger of the hand. It plays an essential role in grabbing and holding objects or things firmly. Most importantly, it enables people to perform different activities effectively.
- Index finger: This is the finger located adjacent to the thumb. It is bigger than the thumb and smaller than the middle finger. The thumb and index finger are generally used to hold the pencil firmly for writing.
- Middle finger: This is the finger located in between the index and ring finger.
- Ring finger: This is the finger located in between the middle and little finger. Most people prefer wearing a ring on this particular finger.
- Little or pinky finger: This is the last finger of the hand slightly smaller than the ring finger.
Free Printable Finger Names for Kids
Though kids recognize all the fingers of the hand, they might know the names of each finger. Therefore, you can teach them different finger names through games and activities. It is better to conduct activities to grab their attention to learning for a longer time. You can use printable finger names for kids to recognize, read and write the names of fingers.
Also, explore charts for kids.
Fun Activities to Learn Hand Finger Names for Kids
Some engaging activities to learn the names of fingers for kids are mentioned below.
- Draw the fingers: In this activity, you can ask kids to draw the fingers of the hand on a sheet of paper. This will help kids learn the names of fingers effectively.
- Identify the fingers: In this activity, kids must identify the names of fingers illustrated on the chart. You can ask kids to point out the fingers, such as the thumb, index, middle, ring and little finger on the chart. This activity will help them to recognize the finger names easily.
- Fill in the blanks: In this activity, kids must fill in the blanks to complete the sentences. For example, The ___ finger is used for wearing a ring. The answer is a ring finger. This activity will help kids to learn the spelling of finger names correctly.
Also, explore spelling activities for kids.
Benefits of Learning Finger Names for Kids
The benefits of learning the names of fingers for kids are mentioned below.
- It helps children understand more about the fingers and their functions creatively.
- It develops vocabulary and language skills in children.
- It keeps children updated about different activities they can perform using their fingers.
- It enables children to communicate clearly with others using appropriate words related to fingers.
We hope this article on the names of fingers helps children. You can check out other games, activities, and worksheets on kids learning, words for kids, worksheets for kids, and holiday activities for kids section at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Names of Fingers
What are the names of all fingers?
The names of the five fingers are the thumb, index, middle, ring and little finger.
What are the benefits of learning the names of fingers?
The benefits of learning finger names for kids are that it helps them learn, recognize and write the names of fingers correctly. Besides this, kids will learn about the uses of each finger of the hand for better learning outcomes.