Looking for ways to make math lessons more fun and engaging for your third grader? Try math activities for kids like math games for grade 3. Math is an important subject, but most kids fear learning math, they see it as something very difficult to master. Kids in grade 3 take a big leap from learning just simple addition and subtraction to more advanced concepts. So, it is necessary to include math games for grade 3 to make lessons more interesting for kids.
With the right math games for grade 3, you can improve their learning experience and change the way your child perceives math. Here are some fun math games for grade 3 that make learning interactive and enjoyable.
20 Simple and Fun Math Games for Grade 3
You might think it’s impossible to get your child to feel excited about learning addition & subtraction, measurements, and shapes. We say it’s possible! Here is a list of 20 math games for grade 3 that make learning math fun and exciting. Choose from this list of online and offline math games to boost your child’s math learning.
- Multiplication Table Pass the Ball: Kicking a ball around and playing football is something that most kids love. This is one of the best math games for grade 3 and will be a great hit with your third grader. To play this multiplication game for grade 3, ask the kids to stand in a circle and give them a ball to pass around. But there’s a catch – they can’t pass it around until they answer a multiplication table equation correctly! If they get the answer right, they continue with the game. If they answer incorrectly, they forfeit a turn. Help your third grader master the multiplication table 1 -20 easily with this chart.
- Tic-Tac-Toe: Tic-tac-toe is a popular game that kids love, it’s also a great way to test your 3rd grader’s addition and subtraction skills. Draw squares on a sheet of paper. But instead of leaving them blank, fill the boxes with different addition and subtraction problems. The fastest one to correctly answer the questions and link 3 Xs or Os wins! This is also one of the best mental math games for grade 3 kids. Here are some more addition games for kids.
- Measurement Perception: Here’s another great math activity for 3rd grade that helps kids learn about measurement. Divide the kids into teams and ask them to find objects of different lengths. Like things that are 1 centimeter long, 1 meter long and 1 foot long. Allow them to use a scale to measure and cross-check! This is one of the most amazing math games for grade 3 kids to understand measurements and learn how to measure.
- Shape Hunt: Learning about different shapes is an important part of grade 3 math lessons. So this geometry game for class 3 is the perfect way to help children master all the shapes. Write down clues related to geometry on a sheet of paper and ask your kids to solve them! Once they solve them, ask them to look for objects that resemble those shapes in the house.
For example, “I am a geometrical figure that has 4 equal sides. What am I?” Once they figure out it’s a square, they can look for objects around them that are in the shape of a square. (like a window!) Looking for more ways to strengthen your child’s knowledge of shapes? Check out these shape games for kids.
- Baking With Fractions: There’s nothing that kids love more than treats. So, the next time you plan to bake them cookies or a cake, have your child help you. Measuring out ingredients like ½ cup butter and ¾ cup sugar will help kids learn and understand fractions. This is one of the best math activities for third grade kids to learn about fractions. Try these fraction math games for kids to help them learn the concept.
- Multiplication Facts Race: A third grader must have mastered the multiplication table for kids from 1-20. This one of the simplest and most fun math games for grade 3 kids to learn the multiplication facts. Hang an empty multiplication grid chart in front of the kids. Divide the kids into two teams and have them fill up the grid sheet one child at a time. For each correct answer, the team gains a point and they lose a point for every incorrect answer.
- Addition Facts Puzzle: Is your child struggling with learning the addition facts? Then give them a boost by helping them play simple math games for grade 3. Addition facts puzzles are similar to word search puzzles for kids. But instead of searching for words, kids have to find and circle the addition facts hidden in the puzzle. Try these math facts games for kids to help your child master the concept.
- Roll the dice and subtract: Learning subtraction can sometimes be difficult for children. Help your third grader master subtracting numbers using easy math games for grade 3. For this math game, divide the children into two teams. Ask one child from the team to roll two dice. Kids from both teams will have to subtract the smaller number from the larger number. The team which answers correctly gets to roll the dice again. Check out these math dice games for kids.
- Battle Of The Fractions: This is one of the easiest math games for grade 3 kids to learn about fractions. All you need is a pack of cards and two pencils. Place the deck of cards in between the two players and ask them to pick two cards each. They need to flip the cards and place them as fractions. The player with the greater fraction wins the game. Check out this comparing fractions worksheet to help your child learn to determine which fraction is greater or lesser than the other.
- Geometry Bingo: Help your 3rd grader master geometry with one of the simplest math games for grade 3 kids. Print out a bingo card with different geometric shapes on it. Make tiny geometric shapes using foam cut outs and hand it to the children. The kids should place the right foam cut out on the bingo card when you call out the geometric shapes. For example, they should place a square-shaped foam cut-out on the bingo card when you say square. Check out geometric shapes to help your child learn about different geometric figures and their properties.
- Math riddles: One of the best math activities for grade 3 kids to make math learning fun is math riddles for kids. Learning math can sometimes be dull and exhausting for children. These math riddles for kids are a great way to help third graders relax and revise some simple math concepts in a fun way.
- Multiplication hole punch: Third graders have just been introduced to multiplication and division and it can be tricky to grasp. So, help them practice their multiplication skills using hole punch to make arrays. Cut up some colorful pieces of paper into small rectangles. Write some multiplication equations on a large sheet of paper and place a paper rectangle next to each sum. Then hand your child a hole punch and ask them to punch dot arrays to represent the equation and solve the problem.
- Lego Fractions: Lego is one of the best ways to help your child learn fractions. Write fractions on flashcards and ask your child to pick one. Now ask them to use different colored legos to represent the fraction.
- Adding with Dominoes: Dominoes are not only fun to play with, but they’re also a great tool to help your child learn addition. Shake a bag of dominoes and ask your child to pick one. Then ask them to add the two numbers in the domino. If they get the answer correct, they get to keep the domino. If not, they put it back in the pile and repeat.
- Plastic Egg Fraction Match: Simplifying fractions is another concept that children learn in third grade. Test your child’s skills with this fun plastic egg fraction matching game. You’ll need a bunch of plastic eggs and a marker to play this game. Write a fraction on one half of the plastic egg and the simplified fraction on the other half. Separate the two halves now. Repeat with different fractions on the rest of the plastic eggs. Now, add the plastic eggs into a large basket or pillowcase and shuffle them. Ask your child to find the fraction and match it to its corresponding simplified fraction before putting the egg back together.
- Multiplication Fact Search: One way to test your child’s knowledge of multiplication facts is with this multiplication fact search puzzle. All you need to do is download and print this multiplication fact search puzzle. Then ask your child to search for the multiplication facts in the puzzle.
Online Math Games For Grade 3
Osmo has a wide variety of games and math activities for kids that make learning math more exciting and fun. Try these digital-physical math games for grade 3 from Osmo.
- Math Wizard And The Amazing Airships: Go on a magical math adventure with Osmo’s Math wizard and amazing airships game. Kids get to design and build amazing airships using their mathematical skills and Rupert, robot mouse’s magical wrech. This wonderful game is one of the best math games for grade 3 kids to practise adding and subtracting and balancing equations.
- Pizza Co. – Osmo’s Pizza Co. is a great game to teach third graders about money and counting money. The game helps kids practise addition, subtraction and fractions. Additionally, Pizza Co. is also one of the best mental maths games for grade 3 children.
- Genius Numbers: Osmo’s genius numbers is one of the best math games for grade 3 kids. The game helps kids improve their counting skills, addition, subtraction and multiplication skills. Additionally, the fun game helps kids learn about aquatic animals in different parts of the world.
- Genius Tangram: This interactive puzzle game from Osmo is one of the best math games for grade 3 kids to learn about shapes. Kids have to move the tangible tiles and connect them to match the shapes on the screen.
Benefits Of Learning with Math Games for Grade 3
Worksheets and tests might pressure your child and bore them. Interactive math activities for third grade can enhance learning in the following ways:
- Turning challenges into opportunities: Math games can turn math learning challenges into opportunities. It’s natural to be let down when we’re faced with a challenge. Hands-on math games for grade 3 teach your child to view these challenges as opportunities to grow, and learn from them!
- More Than One Learning Style: A learning style that works for one child may not work for another. Interactive math games for grade 3 help mix things up a little and introduce your child to different ways of learning. It doesn’t matter if your child is a visual or auditory learner, there’s a game for every learning style.
- Independent Learning: Math games for grade 3 make way for independent learning and encourage your child to solve problems on their own. Even if they don’t get it right on the first go, they learn to think of multiple ways to solve them. When children learn independently, they gain the confidence they need to develop a growth mindset and a more positive attitude towards learning.
These amazing math games for grade 3 will ensure that your kids love the subject quicker than you can imagine! These math games for class 3 introduce your child to core skills through play. With each game, your child will learn to count, add, subtract, multiply, and master measurement. Beyond honing math skills, these games inspire creativity, imagination, and fuel a drive to learn. Play these games with your third grader today!
For more activities, games and worksheets that make learning fun, check our kids learning section.
Frequently Asked Questions on Math Games for Grade 3
What Are Math Games For Grade 3?
Math games for grade 3 are those games that help kids learn the basic math skills in an easy way. These math games allow children to relate to the real world and learn some important skills like, counting the numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. These math games for grade 3 are fun to play as the kids learn too.
Why are math games for grade 3 essential?
Engaging kids in math games for grade 3 essential because it is one of the best ways to introduce them to some fundamental math concepts like, understanding the value of a number, math operations, theorems and complex concepts. When kids play these math games for grade 3, they don’t feel the stress of learning and learn effectively.
What Are Some Of The Math Games For Grade 3?
There are a lot of math games for grade 3 kids to play and learn online or offline. Here are some of the math games for kids that you can engage them in, counting the dots, punching holes, crafting and learning division, flip and multiply and many more fun games.