Learn All About Types Of Colors, Benefits Of Learning Colors And Coloring Activities For Your Toddlers
Once your toddler turns 1 or 2, you can notice he/she will start to observe things around them. Your child will try to process new information and learn any sort of signs, gestures, or simple words that you teach them. You can also notice that your child will start mimicking you or other elders around them. It is because, from the time they are born to age 5, your child’s brain develops drastically. Therefore, it is essential to teach your toddler basic things such as learning alphabets, counting numbers, identifying shapes and sizes, etc. Among these, teaching them to recognize colors is important at this stage.
Learning colors can improve your toddler’s brain activities and helps them keep active. Your toddler can learn all about primary and secondary colors with the help of coloring games. A number of coloring games and activities are available online and offline that help your toddler to learn about colors. In this article, we will be introducing easy coloring games and activities for your toddler. But, before that, let us learn about the difference between primary and secondary colors and the advantages of learning colors for toddlers.
Difference Between Primary And Secondary Colors
You can try this coloring activity with your toddler to learn the difference between primary and secondary colors. When a few colors such as red, yellow, or blue are mixed, different colors are produced. For eg, mixing red and yellow produces orange.
- The colors that are produced when mixed with other colors are secondary colors. These colors are orange, purple and green.
- The ones that cannot be produced by mixing different colors are primary colors. Red, yellow and blue belong to the primary colors group.
- Mixing primary and secondary colors produces tertiary colors
Advantages Of Learning Colors For Toddlers
- Learning colors impact your toddler’s cerebral development drastically
- Learning colors with the help of games and activities help your toddler to focus for a long period of time
- Coloring activities are fun, easy and less time consuming
- Your toddler will be more excited to draw and color various cartoons and pictures which keeps them active throughout the day
- Coloring activities hugely enhance your toddler’s cognitive skills such as reading, writing, observing and paying attention
Simple And Fun Coloring Games For Your Toddlers
- Coloring puzzles for your toddlers to recognize and identify different types of colors
- Learning colors with the help of crayons, paint and color pencils
- Teach your toddler about colors with the help of coloring books
- Clay doughs
- Learning and recognizing colors with the help of nature and surroundings
You can easily teach your toddler to learn about primary and secondary colors with the help of simple puzzles. A number of puzzles are available online and offline which help toddlers to recognize and remember colors.
These puzzles contain colorful blocks such as red, green, blue, orange, etc with the name of the color printed on a different block. Your toddler can solve this puzzle by matching the right color block to its name block.
This is one of the easiest and best ways for your toddler to learn about colors. They can simply use different colored pencils, paints, crayons, and watercolors and draw or scribble anything on the canvas. When your toddler is holding a different color pencil or paint in his/her hand, make sure you recite the color names so that they can get a hand of different colors and their names.
You can purchase different coloring books that are available for toddlers. These books usually have their favorite cartoon or Disney characters. Make your toddler color all the white spaces that have to be filled. They can use any different color to make the picture more colorful. With constant practice, your child will learn to color within the picture and space provided.
Playing with clay doughs is considered to be one of the favorite activities for toddlers and young kids. You can teach your toddler to use play doughs of different colors to learn about primary and secondary colors. This activity can be done with the help of colorful play doughs. You can teach your toddler to mix different colored playdough which produces new colors and also create different structures or shapes using clay dough.
There are different colors and patterns everywhere around us. If we observe closely we can find them every day. You can help your toddler recognize and identify the colors by teaching them to observe nature. The blue sky, red and orange sunrise and sunset, green leaves and trees, different colored flowers, insects, animals, etc, observing all these different-colored phenomena and living beings that exist in nature can impact your child’s brain positively and help them connect with nature.