Does your little one love crafting and origami? Then introduce them to origami by teaching them how to make an origami dog. Learning how to make an origami dog is one of the easiest crafts for kids. Origami is the art of folding paper to form cool and interesting shapes. This activity is a great way to help your child improve their fine and gross motor skills, imagination and creativity. It is also a great way to teach them important math concepts like measurements.
Help your little one make themselves a pocket-sized origami pup. Here is a step-by-step instruction to help your child learn how to make an origami dog:
- Things You Need to Make an Origami Dog
- Instructions to Make an Origami Dog
- Video with Step-by-step Instructions to Make an Origami Dog
- Benefits of Learning How to Make an Origami Dog
- Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make an Origami Dog
Things You Need to Make an Origami Dog
This particular origami project is super easy and inexpensive. Here is a list of things you need to make an origami dog:
- A square of brown-colored Origami paper (you can use any color of your choice)
- Black marker
Instructions to Make an Origami Dog
Follow these simple instructions to make a puppy for yourself with origami paper:
- Step 1: Take the square sheet of origami paper, and using the ruler, draw a dotted line from one corner of the paper to the other. Repeat on the other side so that you have two diagonal lines intersecting in the middle of the paper.
- Step 2: Fold the sheet of paper in half diagonally. Ensure that the paper is folded along the dotted line.
- Step 3: Unfold the paper and fold the paper again in half in the other direction, along the dotted line. Unfold it again.
- Step 4: Now, fold all the corners of the sheet inwards so that each of the corners meets in the center. This should give you a smaller square.
- Step 5: Now, unfold the point on the right-hand side of the small square. Fold the triangular tip to meet the previous crease. Now, fold the flap along the crease so that you have a square again.
- Step 6: Now, open the flap on the opposite side (the left-hand side) of the square. With the tip pointing outwards, fold it back on itself. This will leave you with a point extending beyond the square by approximately 1.5 cm.
- Step 7: Now fold the square in half. You’ll have a small rectangle with a tiny triangle on the top left-hand corner.
- Step 8: Open the front flap of the rectangle so that the point is extended. Fold it on itself diagonally and fold the corner down along the crease. Repeat on the other side.
- Step 9: Invert the fold in the front of the dog’s head and extend it to make the snout. Using the marker, draw eyes on each side of the dog’s head and nose. Your origami puppy is ready to play with.
Step-by-step instructions Video to Make an Origami Dog
Need more help? Check out this video to learn how to make an origami dog.
Benefits of Learning How to Make an Origami Dog
Learning how to make an origami dog is a great way to introduce your child to origami and crafting. Not only is it a wonderful way to keep kids entertained and occupied for a while, but it also has several other benefits. Here are some benefits of crafting and origami projects:
- Origami projects are simple and inexpensive. They only need origami paper, no glue, scissors, tape or other materials and no mess too.
- It’s a very creative art, which uses just one sheet of paper to create many different things like toys, decorations etc.
- Crafting projects like origami enhances the child’s fine motor skills like their hand-eye coordination.
- It improves their visual-spatial skills, dexterity, math reasoning skills and sequencing skills.
- It boosts their focus, concentration, patience and attention span. It also keeps the kids busy and engaged for a while.
- It’s a wonderful tool to improve the child’s imagination and creativity.
- Origami projects are therapeutic and great stress busters. It is a relaxing project for people of all ages.
We hope you found this origami project useful. For more crafts, activities, games and worksheets to make learning fun and engaging for your children, check our kids learning section.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make an Origami Dog
What is Origami?
Origami is the art of folding paper to form different shapes. It is a simple and inexpensive craft that only uses a piece of paper, no glue, scissors or other crafting materials.
What do you need to make an origami dog?
Learning to make origami dogs is simple and doesn’t need too many things. It just needs a square sheet of origami paper, a ruler and a black marker.
How does learning how to make an origami dog help children?
Origami projects like learning to make origami dogs are important to help kids learn fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, focus, concentration, patience, attention to detail, dexterity and visual-spatial skills. Additionally, it also enhances their math reasoning skills, sequencing skills, imagination and creativity. The most important benefit of origami projects is that they’re great stress relievers.