How to Make a Thermometer?
What would you do to measure the temperature of an object or person? You would use thermometers to measure the temperature, wouldn’t you? A thermometer is a device used for measuring the temperature. It gives accurate measurements based on the changes in the temperature. It is widely used in the field of scientific research and medical sectors. How to make a thermometer? To teach children how to make a thermometer, you can conduct science experiments for kids at home under the supervision of elders.
- Easy Science Project: What is a Thermometer?
- Benefits of Learning about How to Make a Thermometer?
- Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Thermometer?
To measure the degree of hotness or coldness, a thermometer is used. Children must understand the phenomenon of how a thermometer works. You can ask kids to make a DIY thermometer at home under the guidance of elders and observe how the level of liquid in the thermometer rises or comes down based on the difference in the temperature. This is one of the coolest DIY science project ideas for kids of all ages. After making a thermometer, they can test the temperature by keeping the thermometer in the colder or hotter area of the house.
Easy Science Project: How to Make a Thermometer?
A thermometer is a device that measures the temperature of an object or a person. The degree of hotness or coldness is measured based on the movement of liquid present inside the thermometer. To see how the temperature varies when the thermometer is exposed to different temperatures. Learning to make a thermometer helps children enhance their scientific knowledge and, at the same time, develop observational skills.
Aim of the Project
To make a homemade thermometer using affordable materials under the guidance of elders. Observe and record the changes.
- A jar
- A lid
- A straw
- A paper and a pen
- A cup of water
- A cup of rubbing alcohol
- Few drops of food coloring liquid
- Take an empty jar and pour a cup of water into it.
- Then, pour a cup of rubbing alcohol into the jar under the guidance of elders.
- Then, add a few drops of food coloring liquid into the water consisting of rubbing alcohol.
- Mix the solution well inside the jar.
- Make a hole at the center of the lid.
- Insert a straw into the jar containing the solution in such a way that half of the straw is dipped inside the liquid, and the rest appears outside the lid.
- Take a tiny piece of clay and mold it around the hole of a lid so that the straw does not move and is placed intact in its position.
- Keep the thermometer inside the freezer for some time and mark the level of liquid raised with a pen.
- Then, keep the thermometer in the hot sun outside of your home for some time and mark the level of liquid raised with a pen.
- Compare and record the observation.
It was observed that the level of liquid rises in the thermometer when the temperature is increased compared to the ones kept inside the freezer. When the temperature of the alcohol increases, the level of solution expands and rises up. When the temperature decreases, the solution inside the jar contracts and comes down the tube.
Benefits of Learning about How to Make a Thermometer
Some of the benefits of learning about how to make a thermometer are mentioned below:
- Imparts scientific knowledge to children.
- Enables children to understand the concept of making a homemade thermometer under the guidance of elders.
- Develops observational, analytical and organizational skills in children.
To know more information, explore science games for kids, STEM activities for kids in the kids learning section at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Thermometer
How to make a thermometer?
To make a thermometer, you need to add a cup of water, a few drops of food coloring liquid and a cup of rubbing alcohol inside a jar with a straw. Keep the thermometer under a different temperature in order to check the rise or fall of liquid inside the jar.
What are the benefits of learning about how to make a thermometer?
The benefits of learning about how to make a thermometer are that it helps children to understand the science behind the working of the thermometer. Besides this, it enables children to perform an experiment and develop essential skills such as concentration, observation, decision making, problem-solving, etc.