How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
Do your children know how to make a simple electric motor? If not, we can help you make a simple electric motor using the materials available at home. Kids can learn about electric motors and its mechanism by building an electric motor themselves. Conducting science experiments for kids will help them understand the science behind every experiment they perform. Similarly, you can teach kids how to build an electric motor effectively. You can teach kids what electric motors are and their benefits in making our lives easier. It is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. There are two types of electric motors; AC and DC motors. You can learn more about electric motors in this article.
- Easy Science Projects: How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
- Benefits of Learning How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
- Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
An electric motor is a highly efficient device that we use in our daily lives. Where do you find electric motors? An electric motor is found in almost every household appliance, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, dishwashers, printers, etc. You can teach kids how to make a simple electric motor to learn how it works and its applications systematically. Apart from conducting experiments, you can also conduct science games for kids to learn scientific concepts. It is needless to say that performing experiments enables children to understand the concepts faster.
Easy Science Projects: How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
There are innumerable activities you can do using electric motors. These devices are not only useful for household purposes but also helpful in industrial applications, agriculture, medical, research and other sectors. Therefore, kids must learn the advantages of electric motors from an early age. You can help little ones with how to make a simple electric motor from the materials found at home. It is better to make it simple and convenient for kids to make an electric motor easily. Check out the experiment to make an electric motor mentioned below.
Aim of the Project
The aim of this experiment is to make a simple electric motor using materials available at home under the supervision of elders.
- A battery
- Insulated wires
- Two safety pins
- A magnet
- An electric tape
- Take a piece of clay and spread it on a flat surface.
- Place the battery on the clay in such a way that it does not move.
- Take a small magnet and gently place it on top of the battery.
- Take two safety pins and place them on either side of the battery’s terminal where the eyes of the pins are facing upwards.
- Take an electric tape and paste the safety pins on both sides of the terminals.
- Take insulated wires and wrap them multiple times.
- Take two loose ends of the wires and cut the extreme ends to remove insulation.
- Place the exposed insulation-free wires inside the eyes of the safety pins.
- Give a little nudge before it starts spinning.
- Observe and record the changes.
In this experiment, kids observe when the current flows from negative to positive terminals, it creates a magnetic field, and the insulated wires start spinning. Here, the electric energy is converted into mechanical energy.
Also, explore walking water experiment.
Benefits of Learning How to Make a Simple Electric Motor
The benefits of learning how to make a simple electric motor for kids are mentioned below.
- It helps children learn about the principle behind the working of an electric motor.
- It develops observational and analytical skills in children while making a simple electric motor.
- It helps children learn the benefits of electric motors in daily life.
- It enables children to understand the scientific concept of electric motors.
- It increases children’s concentration, patience and perseverance to complete the experiments successfully.
- It improves children’s academic performance and helps them score higher marks in science and other related subjects.
To know more information, explore science games for kids, STEM activities for kids in the kids learning section at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Simple Electric Motor?
How to make a simple electric motor?
You can teach kids how to make a simple electric motor using the materials available at home by following the procedure mentioned in this article.
What are the benefits of learning how to make a simple electric motor?
The benefits of learning how to make a simple electric motor for kids are that it helps them know the scientific concept behind the working of an electric motor. Besides this, kids will develop observational, problem-solving and decision-making skills while performing this experiment.