Do your children know what herbs are? If not, you can teach them herb names to enhance their vocabulary of different herbs found around them. Herbs are nothing but the leaves of the plant that you can use extensively in cooking and for other medicinal preparations. You can use these herbs in a dry or a raw form based on your preferences. These herbs have nutritional value and medical properties. Some of the common herb names are; licorice root, aloe vera, basil, thyme, parsley, etc.
Though children are familiar with the taste, they might not know the herb names in particular. Therefore, you can teach them a list of herbs so that they will upgrade their vocabulary knowledge for better understanding and learning outcomes. The best way would be to conduct activities for kids at home so that they pay attention to what you are teaching them effectively.
Names of Herbs in English
What are the most commonly used herbs in cooking? Do your children know the herb names? You can answer all these questions through activities. Learning vocabulary words for kids will help them use the appropriate names of herbs in the conversations. Therefore, you must ensure that kids learn and memorize the names of herbs effortlessly. Herbs have a great nutritional and medicinal value that improves the immune system of humans. You can teach kids how these herbs help in maintaining a healthy life.
List of Herb Names for Kids
Below is a herb list for kids
|Cress mustard||Bok choy|
Also, explore spelling activities for kids.
Free Printable List of Herbs with Pictures
Herbs add flavor to the food you are cooking. It has a strong aroma and taste that makes food items so delicious. Learning the names of herbs will help kids assist their parents in cooking and other activities as they are familiar with the names and their benefits. You can also teach kids the difference between spices and herbs. You can obtain the former from dried seeds, barks, fruits, roots, etc., whereas the latter from the leaves of the plants. Learning this difference will help kids to recognize the names of herbs easily. A printable list of all the names of herbs with pictures for kids is given below.
Fun Activities to Learn the Names of Herbs for Kids
Some engaging activities to learn the types of herb names for kids are mentioned below.
- Identify the herbs: In this activity, you can keep a few herbs on the table, for example, cilantro, chives, parsley, mint, etc. Kids must identify the names of herbs correctly. This activity will help them to recognize herb names quickly.
- Label the herbs: In this activity, you must provide a worksheet to kids where they must label the names of herbs in the space provided. They must recognize the herbs illustrated on the worksheet and write their names correctly. This activity will help kids identify and learn the spelling of herbs easily.
- Collect the herbs: In this activity, you need to assign a task to kids where they must collect around ten herbs from the kitchen, for example, thyme, spring onion, basil, dill, etc. Kids must explore and gather all the assigned herbs from the kitchen or garden. You can assess children’s performance based on the number of correct herbs they collect.
Also, explore charts for kids.
Benefits of Learning Herb Names for Kids
The benefits of learning the names of herbs for kids are mentioned below.
- It increases children’s knowledge about herbs and their nutritional value.
- It enhances children’s learning experience.
- It improves children’s vocabulary knowledge to make effective communication with others related to herbs.
- It helps children learn about the medical properties of herbs.
- It increases children’s spelling skills while learning the names of herbs.
We hope this article on herb names helps children. You can check out other games, activities, and worksheets on kids learning, words for kids, worksheets for kids, and holiday activities for kids section at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Herb Names
What are some common herb names?
Some common herb names for kids are; basil, parsley, cilantro, juniper, mint, rosemary, oregano, celery, etc.
What are the benefits of learning herb names?
The benefits of learning the names of herbs for kids are that it helps them recognize, memorize, read and write the herb names effectively. Also, it will help kids understand the medicinal and nutritional value of herbs. Besides this, they will learn to upgrade their vocabulary and language skills by learning the herb names.