As children grow up, they learn to read, write and speak new words at school. Eventually, the curriculum at school gets more standard and kids will be introduced to grammar concepts, story-writing, essays, poems, etc. It is essential that children learn the spellings of the words to understand and write their own essays and stories. Apart from reading and writing, learning the correct spellings of the words is equally important. There are many spelling games for kids and competitions that are conducted to enhance children’s spelling and vocabulary skills. One such popular and prestigious spelling competition is the spelling bee competition.
The spelling bee word game is played every year and children from all parts of the world take part in it. The words asked in the spelling bee can be really hard, which requires kids to prepare well before entering the competition. Here, we will provide a brief explanation of what the spelling bee word game is and how it is conducted. Along with this, a list of hard spelling bee words will be provided at the end of the article for children to practice at school or home with their friends.
A list of hard spelling bee words for kids to practice at home
Here’s a list of hard spelling bee words along with their meanings that teachers can use to make the students practice at school during leisure time. It is essential that the teachers provide a few words every day for kids to practice. Children can rewrite the spellings of the new words that they have learned until they get well acquainted with them.
The white of an egg is called Albumen.
Liaison is a communication between people or organizations that eases a good working relationship among them.
Elucubrate implies to produce something with great efforts.
Crustaceology is a branch of zoology that deals with animals belonging to crustaceans like prawns, lobsters, crabs, shrimps, woodlice, etc.
Chauffeur is a person whose job is to drive a private or hired car.
Cymotrichous means to have wavy hair.
The pronunciation of this word goes “suh-rees”.
Cerise is a light pinkish red.
A name that fits and suits a person, place or thing who bears it.
Conscientious is an adjective that implies that a person is diligent and feels a moral obligation to be fair to others.
Idiosyncrasy implies a peculiar feature of a person.
The intensity that must be achieved in order to make some result/condition to occur.
Although most of us would spell it as “liquify”, it is correctly spelt as Liquefy. The word means make something liquid.
Curmudgeon means a cranky, bad-tempered old person.
Onomatopoeia is a process of forming a word based on the sound it phonetically resembles.
This word is common but people often misspell it.
Accommodate means to provide space for.
Pursue is often misspelt as persue.
The meaning of the word “pursue” is to follow or chase something.
This word implies the middle class.
Rapport means a close relationship in which people understand each other and communicate well.
Koinonia implies a joint partnership.
Often misspelt as “miniscule”, the word minuscule implies something tiny or minute.
The word “macerate” is generally used in reference to food, and it means to soften something by soaking it in a liquid.
What is the spelling bee word competition?
A spelling bee is an international competition, originating in the USA, which invites children from different parts of the world to take part in the competition. Here, children are given complicated words and asked to spell them out. The level of complexity increases at every stage/round and in the end, the kid who can get the spellings right will be declared as the spelling bee champion of the year.
Children who desire to participate in the spelling bee word competition must go through a rigorous preparation. They can learn spellings of new words from the dictionary, magazine, newspapers, storybooks, etc and practice them every day. The spelling bee game can immensely improve your vocabulary skills along with spelling skills.
How is the spelling bee word game conducted?
The spelling bee word competition is conducted in rounds. The children participating in the spelling bee competition are known as spellers. Spellers are asked to spell one word in each round by the judges. The judges decide whether or not the word spelled by the speller is correct or incorrect. Their decision will be final.
Advantages for kids by playing the spelling bee word game
- Children develop competitive skills as they will be participating in the game with many other participants.
- Spelling bee competition helps children to develop self-confidence and public speaking skills as they have to speak in front of hundreds of people and cameras recording the live event.
- Children will learn better communication skills by entering the spelling bee word competition and they will get a chance to meet new people across the world.
- The spelling bee game improves children’s English speaking skills, vocabulary and spelling skills.
How can kids play the spelling bee word game at school or home?
Spelling bee word games are conducted at schools for children by the faculty. Teachers can also conduct inter-class and inter-school competitions in the precinct to determine the best speller.
- Teachers can select a list of hard spelling bee words which includes the word pronunciation, definition and an example of how that particular word can be used in a sentence.
- Children will be seated and teachers can ask the kids to spell the words in an order.
- The speller can say the spelling of the word more than once but cannot change the initial spelling of the word.
- The speller can ask the judges to repeat the word more than once.
- Spellers have to be seated in front of the judges so that the word pronunciation is clear.
- If the speller spells the word incorrectly, the judges should provide the correct spelling of the word and disqualify the particular participant.
- The spellers who spelled the words correctly will qualify and proceed to the next round.
- The two final spellers remaining, will be asked to spell a word by the judges in the final round and one among them will be declared as the winner.