500+ Words Essay On Dogs, Their Characteristics, Importance And How They Help Us
Dogs are one of the most popular pets in the world. These domesticated animals are descended from a species of wolves. These four legged creatures are very faithful, obedient, loving, kind and caring. Dogs are one of the first animals to be domesticated, they’ve been man’s faithful companions for over 40,000 years! There are hundreds of breeds of dogs in the world. While each breed is different from the other in appearance, all of them belong to the same species, Canis Familiaris.
Along with being loving pets, dogs are also highly intelligent and sensitive animals. Dogs today hold jobs, just like us humans. Humans rely on them for several reasons and tasks. For example, law enforcement, search and rescue, medicine research, emotional support etc.
Learn more about dogs, their characteristics, their different breeds and importance in this essay on dog.
Essay On Dogs: Major Characteristics Of Dogs
Dogs are mammals. These warm blooded animals give birth to their young ones, which are called puppies. The female dog produces milk to nourish her puppies. Here is a list of some of the major characteristics of dogs, which distinguish them from other animals.
- These furry animals have four legs, a tail, a pointy snout, two eyes, two ears and a tail. The fur on their body keeps them warm and protects them from the cold.
- Dogs have very good hearing and a keen sense of smell. They always remember a scent, which is what makes them such good trackers.
- Dogs are extremely intelligent creatures. They can sense a person’s state of mind, read emotions and provide support accordingly.
- Dogs use their tails to express happiness, joy, sadness or alertness. They wag their tails to show that they’re happy and when they’re angry or alert, their tails remain upright without wagging.
- They also bark, when they’re excited or angry.
- Dogs can run very fast and jump too. Most dogs are good swimmers too.
- Dogs are omnivorous animals, they eat both plants and animals.
Essay On Dogs: Dog Breeds
There are several hundred different breeds of dogs. Most breeds that are alive today are the product of selective breeding done to achieve desirable physical or behavioral traits. Initially, dogs were bred to survive and work in extremely cold conditions. These dogs eventually became sled dogs like Huskies, Malamutes etc. Some dogs were bred to herd sheep or cows, while some others were bred as hunters. A few other breeds were specifically bred as guard dogs, while most others are bred to serve as companions.
Here is a list of some common dog breeds:
|Siberian Husky||Shih Tzu|
Essay On Dogs: The Importance Of Dogs
Dogs are not just pets, they’re like family members. These highly intelligent animals are extremely useful for humans. They can be trained to perform several tasks and some dogs even hold modern jobs like us humans. Here is a list of some ways that dogs are extremely useful to humans:
- Protection: Dogs are very faithful, so they’ll protect their humans at all times. They stay alert and guard our houses and belongings and bark and raise an alarm, when they see someone suspicious. They also attack intruders and protect their loved ones from danger.
- Law enforcement: Dogs have a keen sense of smell and hearing. So, several breeds are used in law enforcement and the military. They are used to sniff out drugs and explosives.
- Tracking: Because of their keen sense of smell and hearing, dogs are also used for tracking. People use them in search and rescue operations and even track criminals, who escaped from jail. People also use dogs when they go hunting to track and fetch the felled prey.
- Medical diagnosis: Dogs can even assist in medical diagnoses. They can sense early signs of Parkinson’s disease, oncoming epileptic seizures, diabetes and even several types of cancer.
- Emotional support and service dogs: Service dogs or guide dogs are a great help for visually impaired or hearing impaired people. Dogs are also used to provide emotional support to people with anxiety, autism and post traumatic stress disorder.
- Companionship: Dogs are wonderful animals who love unconditionally. Once they bond with a human, nothing can break the relationship. They are great companions and their only aim in life is to please their loved ones. They help in reducing stress, anxiety, depression and even help us exercise and keep us happy and healthy.
Dogs are a great gift to mankind and are truly man’s best friends. They should be treated with love, kindness, respect and should be cared for well.
We hope you found this Essay On Dogs useful. Please check Osmo for more essays for kids.
Frequently Asked Questions On Dogs
What species do dogs belong to?
Dogs are mammals, which are descended from wolves and belong to the species Canis Familiaris.
What is the lifespan of a dog?
Dogs usually live for 10-16 years depending on how well they’re cared for.
How are dogs useful to humans?
Man and dogs have been friends for over 40,000 years. Since then, dogs have been used for companionship, guarding, protection, as sniffer dogs in law enforcement and the military, search and rescue operations, hunting, medical diagnoses, guiding, emotional support etc.