Easy Way to Spell Words
Learning how to spell can be a daunting task in the initial years of kids learning. Kids need to know the spellings of certain words to read and write fluently. It is understandable that kids get confused when trying to spell many words due to their irregular phonics.
For example, go sounds like ‘o’ but to sounds like ‘oo’. Learning to spell words correctly is a skill that can be acquired gradually.
Your kid might find it hard to remember easy spelling words. Well, there is no need to worry. You need to be patient in the kid’s journey of learning spelling words. The easy ways to spell words are given below:
- Use Mnemonics: Remembering spelling rules can be a painstaking task for kids. Mnemonics is a learning technique that helps in information retention. In mnemonics devices, the information is turned into a picture, sentence, or rhyme which makes it easier to remember.
- Learn rules: The easy way to spell a word is to know the rules. Start with basic rules and build your spelling skills gradually. As you learn new words, you can proceed with more rules. Kids must note that there are some exceptions to some rules which kids need to remember. If you find it difficult to spell certain words, you can try finding out if the spelling follows any rule.
- Know commonly misspelled words: There are certain words that have a high chance of getting misspelled. Some of the examples are across, believe, weird, foreign, etc. Sometimes, these words create a lot of confusion while spelling them.
- List out the words you find difficult to spell: If you come across a word whose spelling is difficult to remember, you can list out such words and practice again and again.
- Divide the words into smaller parts: Sometimes, words are difficult to spell simply because they are long. In such a case, dividing the words into chunks would be a great idea to remember the spelling. For example, ‘Happiness’ can be divided into ‘Hap’, ‘pi’ and ‘ness’.
- Practice the pronunciation of the word: Sounding a word out is a trick to understand its spelling. If you are not sure of the spelling of a word, say it out loud and slowly. Remember, this won’t work every time. There are many words that are read and spelled out differently.
- Practice dictation: Dictation is one of the best ways to learn to spell. Parents and teachers must take dictation of kids to test their spelling skills. Also, one can play word games. This way, they will enjoy learning new spellings every day.
Writing is a significant part of our life. Learning to spell is important to write correctly and fluently. Kids must be taught new spellings every day to guide them in learning English. Also, while teaching English words, one needs to choose which country’s spelling they want to use because some spellings can be different.
For example, in American English, it is neighbor and in British English, it is neighbour. If your kids follow the above guidelines on how to spell, they will become masters in English spellings. They can also participate in spelling bee words easy and show off their spelling skills!