One of the essential arithmetic operations in mathematics is division. Once your children get acquainted with the concept of addition, subtraction and multiplication, you can introduce division to them creatively. The best way would be to teach division word problems to kids for an effective learning experience. These math problems for kids are highly beneficial in enhancing the concept of division.
- Examples of Division Word Problems
- Benefits of Division Word Problems for Kids
- Frequently Asked Questions on Division Word Problems
Solving division word problems enables kids to think critically about the scenarios or situations and come up with solutions. You can conduct math activities for kids to teach word problems on division for better learning outcomes. Once kids understand the equations, they can solve the problems to get accurate answers. You need to start with simple problems and gradually increase the level of difficulty based on their grasping ability.
Check multiplication related articles:
|Multiplication Table for Kids||Multiplication Worksheets|
|Multiplication Table 1 – 20||Basic Multiplication Worksheets|
Examples of Division Word Problems
With the engaging scenarios, kids enjoy practicing division word problems. They should learn systematic ways of solving division problems. Kids can solve single-digit division problems at the beginning of their learning period and move on to the bigger numbers. Some examples of division word problems are given below:
- Tim plucked 4 apples from the tree and gave them to his 4 sisters. How many apples did each sister receive?
- Sarah kept 25 packets of candies in 5 carton boxes. How many packets of candies did she keep in each carton box?
- Michael has 16 pens. He shares all the pens with his 8 friends. How many pens did each of his friends get?
- Sally got 20 new pairs of shoes for his sister’s birthday party as a return gift. He gave 1 pair of shoes to 5 of his sister’s friends. How many pairs of shoes did each of his sister’s friends receive?
- Taylor bought ten shirts from the shopping mall for 800 $. What is the cost of each shirt?
- William baked 35 chocolate cupcakes for his classmates. He gave chocolate cookies to 5 of his classmates. How many cupcakes did each classmate get?
- There are 50 slices of pizza on the dinner table. Suppose you give them to 25 people attending the feast. How many slices would each person receive?
Solution: Number of apples = 4
Number of sisters = 4
Number of apples received by each sister = 4 ÷ 4 = 1
Therefore, the number of apples received by each sister is 1.
Solution: Number of packets of candies = 25
Number of carton boxes = 5
Number of packets of candies in each carton box = 25 ÷ 5 = 5
Therefore, the number of packets of candies kept in each carton box is 5.
Solution: Number of pens = 16
Number of friends = 8
Number of pens each friends received = 16 ÷ 8 = 2
Therefore, the number of pens received by each friend is 2.
Solution: Number of pairs of shoes = 20
Number of sister’s friends = 5
Number of pairs of shoes received by each friend = 20 ÷ 5 = 4
Therefore, the number of pairs of shoes received by each friend of his sister is 4.
Solution: Number of shirts bought by Taylor from the mall = 10
Total cost of shirts = 800 $
Cost of each shirt = 800 ÷ 10 = 80 $
Therefore, the cost of each shirt bought from the shopping mall is 80 $.
Solution: Number of chocolate cupcakes = 35
Number of classmates = 5
Number of chocolate cupcakes received by each classmate = 35 ÷ 5 = 7
Therefore, the number of cupcakes received by each classmate was 7.
Solution: Number of pizza slices = 50
Total number of people eating pizza = 25
Number of people receiving slices of pizza = 50 ÷ 25 = 2
Therefore, the number of pizza slices received by each person is 2.
Check math-related articles:
|Math Games for Kids||Number Games for Kids|
|Math Tricks for Kids||Math Quotes for Kids|
|Math Puzzles for Kids||Math Jokes for Kids|
Benefits of Division Word Problems for Kids
The benefits of learning word problems for kids are mentioned below:
- It develops math skills in children.
- It helps kids understand the concept of division efficiently.
- It develops problem-solving, logical thinking and analytical skills in children.
- It increases children’s academic performance and helps them score well in the topics related to solving division problems.
- It boosts the confidence of children while solving mathematical problems.
- It improves children’s concentration while paying attention to reading and understanding the scenarios in word problems.
We hope this article on division word problems for kids was useful to you. To learn about activities, worksheets and games, explore worksheets for kids, math for kids, puzzles for kids, kids learning sections at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Division Word Problems
What are the division word problems?
Division word problems are an effective way to critically think about the given scenarios and come up with logical solutions. For example, Michael has 16 pens. He shares all the pens with his 8 friends. How many pens did each of his friends get? The answer is 16 ÷ 8 = 2.
What are the benefits of division word problems?
The benefits of division word problems are that it helps kids learn and understand the concept of division. It enables kids to solve problems accurately and develop problem-solving and reasoning skills. Most importantly, kids improve their knowledge of arithmetics.