Definition of Compound Words for Kids
Compound words are two small words put together to form a word. The compound word is unique because it has its own meaning.
- When two words, namely, sea and shell, are put together, the new compound word formed is seashell.
- However, when two words, namely, sea and shore, are put together, the new compound word formed is seashore.
Parents can introduce kids to Kindergarten Sight Words, which is available at Osmo.
As mentioned earlier, to form a compound word, two small words are put together. However, one must know that not all small words can be joined together to form compound words for kids. The compound word has to be an accurate word that makes sense and has real meaning. For instance, one cannot put small words dog and cat together because ‘dogcat’ is not valid.
Which of these words is a compound word?
In this case, the word Glamorous is quite a long word and has three syllables; however, it cannot be broken into two separate words. Hence, it cannot be considered a compound word.
Is Giraffe a compound word?
It is a medium-sized word and has two syllables. However, it cannot be broken into two separate words. Hence, Giraffe, too, cannot be considered as a compound word.
Is Cupcake a compound word?
Yes, it is. Cup + cake = cupcake. Hence, cupcake is a compound word.
Types of Compound Words for Kids
There are three types of compound words. Namely,
- Closed Compound words for kids: These words are single words, namely, newspaper, haircut, grandmother, etc.
- Open Compounds for kids: Compound words are separate words such as living room, high school, school bus, etc.
- Hyphenated Compounds for kids: Words that use a hyphen between two words can be considered as hyphenated compounds, such as second-rate, well-known, merry-go-round, etc.
Also, refer to Hard spelling bee words.
Simple Compound Words for Kids
For instance, ‘sun’ and ‘flower’ are two different words. However, they form another word, sunflower, when connected. These words are created by either using the two words as a single term or adding a hyphen. Thus, the spelling of the two words is not necessarily altered when combined, but the meaning becomes unique.
Below given are 150 examples of compound words for kids:
Fun ways to teach Simple Compound Words to Kids
Each kid has a different way of learning. What works for one may not work for another. Hence, below provided are the fun ways to teach the child compound words. Pick the best activity that tailors the kid’s style of learning.
- Visual learning style – Parents can prepare flashcards, half with pictures and half with words. Let the kid lay them out in grid style and flip two cards over at a time. The aim is to find a word and an image to form a compound word. Kids must use their memory to triumph in this game.
- Kinesthetic learning style – Provide kids with a compound word and draw two ‘parts’ of the compound word. For instance, for ‘doghouse’, a kid must draw a dog and a house.
- Assist the children in forming the compound word. Let them write a word in the middle of the paper flower and ask them to write compound words that utilize the word on the petals.
Once the children know the basics of compounds, parents and teachers can assist them in moving onto more difficult words. Osmo provides a wide range of child-friendly games, activities and learning materials. These are pretty simple to teach and understand. Make sure to know more by clicking on Easy Spelling Words.