500+ Words Communication Essay, The Different Types Of Communication And The Importance Of Communication
Communication is the act of transferring or exchanging information from one place, person or group of people to another. In other words, it means sharing information or ideas by talking or writing and receiving information by listening or reading. It is basically an interaction between two or more people. Communication plays an important role in human life and society. Along with exchanging information and knowledge, it also helps in building relationships with other people.
But why is it important to communicate? Communication or social interaction is how we express our ideas, desires, wants and needs. Everything from education to the workplace and even human societies depend on communication to understand each other. Communication is as old as our civilization itself, from time immemorial man, nature and animals communicated with each other verbally and non-verbally.
Read on to learn more about the definition and different types of communication in this communication essay. This communication essay also helps you understand its importance.
Definition of communication
Communication can be defined as the sharing or exchanging of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, gestures, listening, etc.
The word “communication” is derived from the word “communis.” Communis is a Latin word, which means common. The common component in all kinds of interactions and communication is understanding. Without understanding, there would be no transfer of information or knowledge and the communication becomes directionless. Communication plays an important role in sharing ideas, opinions, thoughts and clarifying doubts.
Read on to learn the different processes in communication in this communication essay.
The Different Processes of Communication
- It’s between two parties: From the definition, we understand that communication is a two-way process. There is always a sender and a receiver and both can be an individual or a group of individuals.
- It always carries a message: Communication between two parties always includes a message. The message can be information, instructions or guidance, a question or enquiry, an opinion, feeling, thought or idea.
- Commonness of understanding: For communication to be successful, both parties should understand the message. Both the sender and receiver should understand the communication or it becomes miscommunication. Understanding is also influenced by several factors like emotions, culture, language, upbringing and location.
- Method of communication: A message can be communicated in different ways. It can be verbal, which means talking, or it can be conveyed in writing. Along with these, the receiver and sender can also communicate using signs, gestures, expressions etc.
- Evoking a response: A communication should be able to get a response from the receiver. It can be a verbal or nonverbal response or it can be behavioral changes too.
Now that you know what communication is, read on to learn the different kinds of communication in this communication essay.
Different Types Of Communication
There are two main types of communication, they are:
- Verbal communication: Verbal communication uses words and languages to interact and exchange information. A verbal interaction between the receiver and sender can be oral or written. So all communication that uses speaking, reading, writing, listening comes under verbal communication. Additionally, verbal communication is used more widely because it usually gets an immediate response.
- Nonverbal communication: Nonverbal communication doesn’t use words, instead it uses signs, gestures, expressions and other forms of body language. The responses for this sort of communication will vary depending on how a particular cue is interpreted.
But why is communication and developing good communication skills important? Learn about the importance of communication in this communication essay.
The Importance of Communication
Communicating is a very important part of our everyday lives. Without communication, we wouldn’t be able to express ourselves or relay information. It’s also important to understand others, to develop social skills and build human relationships.
- Education: Good communication skills are necessary to succeed in academics. Students should be able to listen and understand information and knowledge in all stages of education. Additionally, communication skills are extremely important for their future career too.
- Professional life: Landing a good job doesn’t just need good grades, a person will also need excellent communication skills to get better employment opportunities. It is also closely related to leadership skills. A leader with good communication skills can inspire and motivate his team to work towards a desired goal. It also helps foster good relationships with other employees, colleagues and superiors. Additionally, good communication skills also help avoid misunderstandings and issues that arise from it.
- Personal life: Healthy communication skills also comes in handy in a person’s personal life too. It helps us deal with and resolve conflicts, face challenges and build stronger, healthier relationships.
- Avoiding miscommunication: Miscommunications can lead to misunderstanding and issues. These problems can be avoided or minimized with good communication skills. Miscommunications can especially be troublesome or even lethal in healthcare. Good communication skills enables patients to communicate clearly with their healthcare providers and understand each other.
So the importance of good communication skills cannot be underestimated. Excellent communication skills lead to good conversations and help in building strong, lasting relationships.
We hope this communication essay was useful to you. For more essays like these, check Osmo’s essays for kids.
Frequently Asked Questions On Communication
What is Communication?
Communication is the act of conveying or receiving information, knowledge, ideas, thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc. It can be conveyed through verbal or nonverbal communication.
Why are good communication skills important?
Communication skills help in getting a sound education and makes way for better employment opportunities too. It is also important for decision making, leadership skills and to build strong, healthy relationships.