How would you classify plants? Are there any particular characteristics that distinguish plants from one another? Young kids might have all these queries in their minds. So, it would be best if you could teach them about the similarities and differences of plants creatively. You can download the classification of plants worksheets to improve your child’s knowledge of plant classification. These science worksheets are a great tool to enhance your child’s scientific understanding of one of the important natural resources on Earth.
Little ones are aware that plants provide oxygen, shelter and food. Besides learning about the importance of plants in maintaining the ecological balance of the environment, kids must get acquainted with plant classification. Kids come across different types of plants around them, for example, rose, jasmine, pines, ferns, etc. Therefore, the challenge for the kids is to understand and learn the difference between plants based on morphological, habitats and physiological characteristics. You can explore the classification of plants worksheets for kids to expand their knowledge while having fun. These worksheets for kids will help them gain the confidence to learn new concepts systematically.
Check science worksheets related articles:
|Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet||Water Cycle Worksheet|
|Body Part Worksheet||5 Senses Worksheet|
|States of Matter Worksheet||Earth Day Worksheets|
|Seasons Worksheets||Parts of a Plant Worksheets|
Free Printable Classification of Plants Worksheets
Plants are categorized into kingdoms and sub-kingdoms based on their characteristics, such as the shape and size of leaves, geographical regions, life cycle, genetic and evolutionary relationships. Kids must learn why the plants are classified into different kingdoms. Therefore, you can download and print the classification of plants worksheets for kids. You need to make sure that these worksheets are easy to understand and help kids practice exercises created, keeping in mind their understanding abilities. Some of the free printable plant classification worksheets are mentioned below:
Classify the plants based on the categories mentioned on the worksheet.
Help your little ones classify plants into flowering and non-flowering plants on the worksheets. Check out the classification of plants worksheet for kids given below.
Complete the classification of plants on the worksheet given below.
Fill in the blanks with classification of plants on the worksheet given below. This worksheet helps children to learn about plant kingdom effectively.
“Tick” mark the correct images of flowering plants given below.
Help your children to tick the correct classification of plants illustrated on the worksheet below. They need to identify the trees, shrubs, herbs and climbers from the given options on the worksheet.
Types of Plant Classification Worksheets for Kids
Apart from recognizing plants based on their classification, kids must also learn why they are categorized based on their characteristics. You can even conduct science experiments for kids or classify plants using worksheets to make them understand the concept easily. These worksheets can help them record their observations on different plants they see around them. The types of plant classification worksheets are given below:
- Complete the flowchart: In this worksheet, kids need to complete the plant classification flowchart on the worksheet. This worksheet helps them know the hierarchy of plant classification effectively. They can classify them and understand the order for better learning outcomes.
- Label the plants: In this worksheet, a series of images are illustrated, and kids need to identify and write their classification on the space provided, for example, gymnosperm, angiosperm, monocots, dicots, etc.
- Identify the characteristics of plants: In this worksheet, the characteristics of different plants are mentioned. Kids need to read and identify the plants based on their characteristics. For example, plants with true roots and stems enable them to carry water and food throughout the plant. What are they? The answer is trees or grasses. The plants have no roots, stems or leaves. What are they? The answer is mosses and algae. Similarly, you can create such questions and help children classify plants.
- Choose the correct answer: In this worksheet, a series of questions and four options are mentioned. Kids need to read the questions carefully and choose the correct answer from the given options. For example, which of the following plants is an angiosperm? The options are oak, fern, fir and mold. You can create more such questions for kids to enhance their knowledge of plant classification.
- Cut and paste the images: In this worksheet, kids must cut and paste the illustrated images of plants in the space provided, for example, ferns, pines, mosses, sunflowers, trees, etc. This activity helps children learn the classification of plants creatively.
Classification of Plants
Many varieties of plants are found in the world. Are your children able to identify and group them based on their characteristics? You can teach them the different types of plants classified based on physical appearance, physiological, geographical characteristics, etc. The types of plants are as follows:
- Vascular plants: These plants have vascular tissues such as the xylem and phloem. These tissues are responsible for transporting water and nutrients throughout the plant. The different types of vascular plants are Pteridophytes, Gymnosperm and Angiosperm.
- Pteridophytes: These plants are diverse and consist of spores under their leaves. For example, ferns.
- Gymnosperms: These are vascular and non-flowering plants. These plants consist of seeds without flowers and fruits, for example, Pines, Sago palms, Cedars, etc.
- Angiosperms: These are plants that bear fruits and flowers. They grow as big trees, small shrubs and herbs. These plants have seeds enclosed in fruits. Moreover, these plants are divided into monocots and dicots. Some of the examples of angiosperms are rose, rice, onion, tomato, etc.
- Non-Vascular Plants: These plants lack vascular tissues that carry water and nutrients throughout the plants. An example of non-vascular plants is the phylum Bryophyta. These are the mosses that lack true roots, stems and leaves. These mosses are usually found in moist places.
Benefits of Plant Classification Worksheets for Kids
The importance of classification of plants worksheets for kids are mentioned below:
- It helps children recognize and classify plants based on their characteristics.
- It creates a fun and entertaining learning environment for children while practicing on worksheets.
- It helps children to understand the concept of plant classification effectively.
- It develops cognitive, fine motor and creativity skills in children.
- It increases the children’s academic performance and helps them score well on the topic of plant classification.
- It allows children to concentrate and focus on learning plant classification with the help of worksheets.
We hope this article on the classification of plants worksheets was useful to you. To learn more about activities, worksheets and games, explore literacy games for kids, puzzles for kids, kids learning sections at Osmo.
Frequently Asked Questions on Classification of Plants Worksheets
What are the classifications of plants worksheets?
Classification of plants worksheets is an excellent tool for children to learn plant classification based on their characteristics, such as physical, physiological, geographical, etc. It provides an opportunity for children to identify, classify and write plant classification effectively.
What are the benefits of the classification of plants worksheets?
The benefits of plant classification worksheets are that it helps children develop understanding and build knowledge about plant classification. They learn to recognize the different types of plants found in the world. Most importantly, practicing worksheets helps children develop their cognitive, creativity and fine motor skills.