Christmas is the most awaited festive season of the year. Young children look forward to celebrating Christmas with their family members and friends. To keep your child entertained and busy during this festive season, you can conduct Christmas activities for Kids. These activities are conducted not only for fun but also for learning purposes.
We need to make sure that kids enjoy their Christmas celebrations and at the same time learn something new. We’ve got you interesting Christmas day activities for kids. To start with, you can introduce Christmas words to kids so that they get familiar and understand the words related to the celebrations easily.
In this article, explore Christmas activities for kids
- Make Christmas Crafts
- Play with Christmas Toys
- Solve Christmas Riddles
- Ask Christmas Questions
- Learn Christmas Vocabulary Words
- Solve Christmas Crossword Puzzles
- Search Christmas Words
- Recite Christmas Poems
- Conduct Christmas Drawing Games
- Write Essay on Christmas
- Play Christmas Spelling Games
- Read Christmas Stories
- Play Christmas Tongue Twisters
- Play Christmas Treasure Hunt
- Cook Christmas-Themed Pancake
- Take a Drive to See Christmas Lights
- Make Christmas Cards
- Decorate Christmas Tree
- Build a Snowman
- Wrap Christmas Gifts
Though it is Christmas time, the learning process of children should not stop. You can explore different ways to engage kids during the celebration. There are many Christmas party activities for kids that can develop an interest for them to participate. These Christmas activities for kids are extremely beneficial for their cognitive development and other essential skills such as communication, creativity, visualization, etc. To upgrade their knowledge on the festival, you can conduct Christmas trivia questions for kids so that they understand the information related to the celebration.
20 Fun Christmas Day Activities for Kids
Apart from receiving gifts and enjoying a family feast, you can add some exciting activities to their list. Encourage children to participate in the activities that keep them busy throughout the celebration. You can organize a couple of Christmas activities for kids in a fun and entertaining way. Here are some of the Christmas party activities for kids given below:
Make Christmas Crafts
Children love decorating the Christmas tree and their house for the celebration. To engage kids and keep them busy during Christmas celebrations, you can ask them to decorate their house with handmade craft items. Conduct Christmas crafts for kids where they learn to make interesting decorative items such as lanterns, snowman cups, paper hangings, mason jars, Christmas cards, snowman with cotton balls, etc. Here are some of the Christmas crafts mentioned below:
- Garland with crepe papers
- Christmas tree with popsicle sticks
- Santa Claus with cotton balls
- Wind chimes with color papers
- Christmas cards with thread and thermocol balls
Play with Christmas Toys
Little kids are always excited for Christmas as they receive loads of toys as gifts. They spend their time playing with toys that keep them busy throughout the day. There are many interesting Christmas toys for kids such as Dolls, Cars, Puzzles, Legos, Drawing kits, etc., that you can include in Christmas activities. You need to make sure that these toys are beneficial for their cognitive and social development. Besides this, you can also give non-toy gifts that are useful for them, such as Teepee, Clothes, Books, Musical instruments, etc. Some of the toys that can be given on Christmas day are mentioned below:
- Soft toys
- Gardening kits
- Laboratory kits
- Lego blocks
- Christmas goodies
Solve Christmas Riddles
On Christmas day, you can conduct many interesting activities that engage children for a longer period of time. One of them includes Christmas riddles for kids where they need to solve the riddles by critically thinking about the answers. These riddles are based on Christmas and its celebration. Participating in riddles helps children to stimulate their minds and enhance their learning experience. Some of the riddles related to Christmas are given below:
- Where was baby Jesus born? The answer is Bethlehem.
- What is the favorite food of a snowman? The answer is frosted flakes.
- How many reindeer does Santa ride? The answer is 9 reindeers.
- I’m a metallic and shiny colored strip used for decorating a Christmas tree? Who am I? The answer is tinsel.
- What is the color of the Grinch who stole Christmas? The answer is Green.
Ask Christmas Questions
Though children are aware of the Christmas celebration, they might not know the meaning behind every term we use at Christmas. Apart from celebrating the festival, you can ask Christmas trivia questions for kids so that they gain knowledge about the festival. Most importantly, conducting this activity keeps children busy and at the same increases their knowledge. You can make the Christmas celebration fun and entertaining by conducting quizzes for children. Some of the Christmas trivia questions are mentioned below:
- Which mint candy is popular during Christmas time? Answer: Eggnog
- Which country has started decorating Christmas trees? Answer: Germany
- What is the name of the famous Christmas Carol? Answer: Jingle Bells
- What is the color of Santa’s belt? Answer: Black
- What are the food items that you leave for reindeer? Answer: Carrots and Oats
Learn Christmas Vocabulary Words
Learning never stops even during the celebration of Christmas, isn’t it? You can continue teaching new vocabulary words to children even on the day of Christmas. Learning Christmas words enables children to become familiar with the traditions and customs of the festive season in a fun way. Using these words will help them make effective communication with others on Christmas. Most importantly, it will develop their vocabulary and language skills. Some of the words related to Christmas are mentioned below:
- Sleigh Bells
- Gingerbread house
- Christmas eve
Solve Christmas Crossword Puzzles
Learning vocabulary words is one of the best Christmas activities for kids. You can keep them engaged by conducting Christmas crossword puzzles for kids. These puzzles enable children to critically think and fill in the words diagonally, horizontally and vertically on the space provided. You can help children to solve the puzzles by providing hints or clues, in case they find them difficult to solve. This activity helps children to improve their vocabulary and spelling skills. It also develops their concentration and perseverance towards learning. Some of the words related to Christmas that you can include in puzzle games are given below:
- North pole
Search Christmas Words
Young children are super excited about Christmas, and to keep their excitement alive, you can conduct fun Christmas party activities for kids. You can assess their knowledge by making them search words related to the festive season. Christmas word search is an amazing tool for children to learn new words and develop their vocabulary skills. Playing word games helps them develop critical thinking and analytical skills. They will search the words and come up with correct answers. Some of the words that you can include in the word search game are given below:
- Santa Claus
- Christmas tree
- Jingle bell
Recite Christmas Poems
Children usually sing Christmas carols during the celebration. Besides this, you can also teach Christmas poems for kids. Reciting poems helps children to learn new words easily. They can form sentences and make effective communications with others. There are many Christmas poems for kids which are easy for them to understand and recite. One of the famous Christmas poems by Joanna and Karl Fuchs is given below:
The Nicest Present
Under the tree the gifts enthrall,
But the nicest present of them all
Is filling out thoughts with those who care,
Wanting our Christmas joy to share.
To you, whom we’re often thinking of,
We send our holiday joy and love.
Conduct Christmas Drawing Games
Drawing is one of the best Christmas activities for kids. You can conduct drawing games for kids related to Christmas. In this activity, you can ask children to draw from the list of topics given to them, such as Christmas tree, Grinch, Reindeers, etc. This helps children to develop their creativity and imagination skills. Some of the stepwise instructions to draw a Christmas tree for kids are given below:
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a triangle shape for the tree.
- Draw a vertical line at the bottom of the triangle for the branch of the tree.
- Draw small shapes such as stars, circles and rectangles for a ball, gift box and loop, respectively.
- Color the image using crayons and watercolors.
Write Essay on Christmas
To develop your child’s writing skills, you can ask them to write an essay on Christmas. The information that your children have learned about Christmas can be written on a sheet of paper. You can assess what they have written and appreciate them for their performance. Teaching essays for kids enables children to develop their language skills. Some of the following tips to write a Christmas essay are given below:
- Search information for the assigned topic.
- Jot down relevant points while searching for information.
- Structure the content properly from introduction to conclusion.
- Proofread the content after completing it.
Play Christmas Spelling Games
Once your child gets familiar with new words, it is important for them to know their spellings as well. To enhance their spelling skills, you can dictate words verbally to children and allow them to write them on a sheet of paper. Once they complete, assess their performance based on the number of correct words. Conducting spelling activities helps them learn how to spell the words correctly. Some of the words that you can include in the list are given below:
Read Christmas Stories
Reading habit is something that has to be inculcated from an early age. In this case, you can ask children to read stories on Christmas. This will help them develop reading skills as well as gain knowledge about the festive season. You can conduct reading games for kids and award potential prizes for the children who are able to read and understand the stories properly. Some of the stories that children can read on Christmas are given below:
- The gift of the Magi
- The Elves and Shoemaker
- How the Grinch stole Christmas
Play Christmas Tongue Twisters
Tongue twister is one of the best ways to learn the pronunciation of words correctly. It also focuses on improving concentration level and patience while telling tongue twisters. You can ask kids to say tongue twisters related to Christmas. Some of the tongue twisters for kids on Christmas are given below:
- Santa Sang Seven Songs
- Rudolph runs rings round rover
- Santa’s Short Suit Shrunk
- Silly smelly snowmen slips and slides
- Eight elves eagerly ate everything
Play Christmas Treasure Hunt
Children are always inquisitive about knowing things. You can take this opportunity to make them hunt items related to Christmas at home. You can hide a few items in different corners of the house and ask the children to hunt those items within a given frame of time. Some of the items that you can ask them to hunt are given below:
- Fruit cake
Cook Christmas – Themed Pancake
Little kids enjoy spending time with their parents in the kitchen. They are always excited to assist them in cooking. You can conduct cooking activities for children where they can prepare something and decorate them based on the Christmas theme. In this activity, you can prepare pancakes and ask them to decorate using the given ingredients. Some of the tips to decorate the pancake are given below:
- Prepare a pancake and spread cream on the top of the cake.
- Add two blueberries for the eyes and strawberries for the ears and nose.
- Separate the head and body with the peel of an apple for the scarf.
- Place an arc-shaped peel of an apple on top of the pancake for the cap.
Take a Drive to See Christmas Lights
During the festive season, you can see the whole streets of your neighborhood display lights. You can take your children for a drive and show them the beautiful lights lit up everywhere. This creates excitement among the children to celebrate Christmas. Some of the things to keep in mind while driving through the streets are given below:
- Wear warm clothes before stepping out of the house.
- Explore the whole streets where the lights are lit up.
- Drive or walk through the streets to see the lights.
Make Christmas Cards
If your children want to convey wishes for their loved ones, you can ask them to make beautiful Christmas cards. You can provide necessary items required for making a card, such as color paper, scissors, glue, crayons, decorative items, etc. Once your child completes making Christmas cards, you can help them write beautiful messages for the person whom they want to give. Some of the ways to make a Christmas card are given below:
- Take a sheet of paper and fold it in half.
- Take the front side of the paper and draw an outline of the Christmas tree.
- Color the Christmas tree using crayons or watercolors.
- Add a few crystals or glittery stones on the Christmas tree.
- Take a few cotton balls and paste them all over the card to give an appearance of snow.
- Flip the card and write Christmas wishes for your loved ones.
Decorate Christmas Tree
This is one of the best Christmas activities for kids. Once you set up a Christmas tree at home, ask kids to assist you in decorating the tree. With this, you can keep them busy and involved in decorating the tree with decorative items. They can decorate it using crystal balls, tinsels, stars, cotton balls, etc. A few tips to decorate the Christmas tree are given below:
- Take a Christmas tree and start decorating from the top.
- Gather all the items and start decorating them on a tree.
- Add ornaments, stockings, garland, etc., on the tree.
- Place a few gift boxes next to the Christmas tree.
Build a Snowman
On Christmas eve, you’ll find a lot of snow outside the house and in the surrounding area. You can make a snowman with your kids. Ask children to make a snowman using the snow available in front of the house. This is a fun activity for children during Christmas time. Some of the tips to make a snowman are given below:
- Make a snowman by gathering the snow found around your house.
- Place a cap on the top of a snowman.
- Take a scarf and drape it around the neck of the snowman.
- Use a carrot to make the nose of a snowman.
Wrap Christmas Gifts
Children love receiving gifts from their family members. But, they do need to understand the importance of giving gifts and learn how to wrap the gifts as well. You can ask kids to assist you in wrapping gifts for Christmas. There are many gifts that we buy for our family and friends. It takes a lot of time for everyone to wrap gift covers. Therefore, you can encourage children to participate in wrapping gifts so that they learn how to wrap their gifts in a systematic way. A few tips to wrap gifts are given below:
- Take a gift box and a cover to wrap the gift.
- Try to use a visually appealing cover for the wrapping.
- Take your time and sit in the corner of your house to wrap gifts.
- Use colorful ribbons and cards for the gift wrapping.
Benefits of Christmas Day Activities for Kids
Some of the benefits of Christmas party activities for kids are mentioned below:
- Develops vocabulary and language skills.
- Develops critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Improves creativity and imagination skills in children.
- Increases higher retention power in children.
- Improves understanding of the Christmas celebration.
- Increases knowledge on Christmas celebrations.
- Promotes engagement and entertainment for children.
- Enhances their learning experience.
Frequently Asked Questions on Christmas Activities for Kids
What are Christmas activities for kids?
Christmas activities for kids are interesting ways to engage children and keep them busy in learning new things. There are many Christmas activities that you can conduct for children like making crafts, playing with toys, asking Christmas related questions, solving riddles and puzzles.
What are the benefits of Christmas activities for kids?
Some of the benefits of Christmas activities for kids are that it helps children to develop creativity, imagination, problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Also, these activities help them understand the importance of Christmas traditions and customs in a fun way. Besides this, they also keep themselves busy and entertained throughout the celebration.