Making kids learn something can be very tough. However, never have we ever seen a kid who does not want to play and perform interesting activities. To upgrade their knowledge, you can conduct activities for 4 year olds. There are best learning activities for 4 year olds where they can explore and discover their creativity. These activities for kids at home makes them get inclined towards learning and developing curiosity.
So, if you are planning to spend some awesome time with your 4 year olds while they learn new things, we are here to help. Check out some amazing home activities for 4 year olds where they can develop their essential skills at the beginning of the learning process. These educational activities for 4 year olds will enhance kids’ learning experience for better academic performance in a fun and entertaining way. Presented below are some cool and fun activities to 4 year olds in the best ways. Stay tuned with us.
Best Learning Activities For 4 Year Olds
Here are some of the fun activities for 4 year olds mentioned below:
- Shape it with Playdough – Shape Learning Activity for 4 Year Olds: Playdough is mostly found in all households with kids. The reason being that it can be used in so many ways. There are multiple activities that you can perform with your little ones using the playdough. In this activity, you need to provide kids with a board having different shapes – circle, triangle, rectangle, square, rhombus, pentagon, hexagon, etc. Kids have to make these shapes with playdough and tag the shapes using small pieces of paper. Visit, to know more about shape games for kids.
- Groupify the Blocks – Understanding Colors: Building blocks are amazing when it comes to teaching little kids something new or even to make them practice something they have already been taught. Building blocks come in different shapes, sizes and vibrant colors. For this activity, you need to utilize the blocks to hone your kids’ understanding of colors. All they need to do is to sort the blocks as per their colors – all the red ones make a group, the green ones make another, so on and so forth.
- Paint and Learn – Number Activities for 4 Year Olds: For this activity, you would need a sheet of paper, preferably a big sheet. Draw the numbers on the sheet in such a way that kids can paint them. Provide some space on the right side of the number such that kids can make little circles equal to that number. For instance, the number is 4, then kids need to make 4 little circles and paint them with catchy colors. This is an easy yet brilliant way to teach them numbers as well as counting. Visit, to know more about number games for kids.
- Remote-controlled Cars – Activity to build Critical Thinking: This can be one of the best activities for a 4 year old boy to develop sound critical thinking skills. Remote controlled cars may seem to be just engaging. But, there are several things that kids can learn while playing with these cars. For example, you can ask kids to park their cars in a particular area. Or, you can give them instructions like “take reverse”, “pull the car away from the wall”, “keep the car moving along the edge of the table”, etc. This activity not only enhances their social and intellectual skills but also helps them develop critical thinking.
- Osmo’s words: Here, kids will be learning new vocabulary words and how to spell them correctly. This game will enable them to develop their vocabulary and language skills for better academic performance.
- Sit and Stand – Activity to sharpen Listening Skills: This is an extremely easy activity and works the best with multiple players. You would give quick instructions to kids to sit or stand. For instance, you can say – sit, stand, sit, stand, sit, sit…This activity freshens kids up and makes them active listeners.
- Jigsaw Puzzles – Enhancing Visual Recognition: You would find jigsaw puzzles on several subjects – animals, plants, flowers, trees, parts of a human body, etc. Jigsaw puzzles comprise pictures drawn on cardboards and divided into several pieces with varying shapes and sizes. Kids need to arrange them all properly to bring out the original picture. This activity strengthens kids’ visual recognition skills.
- What am I? – Activity to refine identification skills in 4 year olds: You need nothing special for this activity. All you have to do is sit anywhere at home or in the garden with your little ones, ask them to identify things around them and say the words aloud – a bird, a car, a chair, sand, water, mud, etc. You can keep milestones like if kids successfully identify 20 things around them, they get cookies or fruits or maybe chocolates.
- Read me! – Developing Linguistic Skills: Children might not want to read children books alone but they will love it if you read along with them. Just to make them feel happy, you can intentionally make a few mistakes here and there so that they correct you. Do remember to appreciate them if they catch your mistakes.
- How Many? – Counting Activity to do with 4 year olds: Fill a table with different things – one apple, two toy cars, three pencils, four pens, five erasers, etc. Kids need to count the number of each type of object and for every correct answer, they get points. The kid with the maximum points wins and gets a reward.
- Spot the Difference – Honing Concentration in 4 Year Olds: Concentration and paying attention to details are essential for students. To develop the same, you can make use of “Spot the Difference” worksheets for children available online for free.
- Trace on Sand – Number Activities for 4 Year Olds: Beach visits can be turned into good learning experiences with this activity. They need to sit near sand and trace numbers starting from 1. Tracing numbers on books and tracing them on the sand are two entirely different things, the latter one being more of a play than studies for kids.
- Playing Games like Ludo: Ludo, and Snakes and Ladders, and other such games can teach kids about numbers, counting, colors, and much more without them realizing that they are being taught. So, while you spend some quality time with your little ones and watch these games bring smiles to their faces, they will be learning new things and developing better social skills.
- Take For Outdoor Walks: The best activity to engage 4 year olds is to take them for a walk. You can expose them to outdoor activities where they can play with sand, leaves, trees, pet animals or even mingle with other children in the park or garden. They will learn to respect nature and become compassionate towards the environment and the animals around. Most importantly, they will develop social skills.
- Craft Activities For 4 Year Olds: Making tiny art and crafts enables children to develop their hand and eye coordination along with creativity. Therefore, young children can make imaginative and innovative crafts using color papers, ribbons, popsicle sticks, etc. These crafts for kids will make them pay attention to things that they are interested in.
- Play in water: Allow your children to play with water either indoors or outdoors. You can make them play in the pool or even give them some water to wash kids friendly utensils. This activity will teach them concentration skills and hygiene.
- Osmo’s Numbers: Kids can learn recognizing and counting numbers with this really exciting game. Check out Osmo’s numbers for fun and cool games.
- Play Board Games: To enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills, you can conduct board games for kids. It can either be snakes & ladders, ludo or bingo. These preschool activities for 4 year olds will enable them to develop their artistic skills along with other essential skills.
- Dancing: Encourage children of all ages to dance like nobody’s watching. Play some grooving music and make them dance. You can teach them to dance or let them create moves spontaneously to their favorite song. It will help kids to sharpen their memory skills.
- Gardening: These are fun activities for 4 year olds to do at home such as gardening. Kids love plants and like to take care of them. Assist your child in doing gardening work at your home such as watering plants, plucking dried leaves, mixing soil, planting saplings, sowing seed, etc. Make them water the plant on a regular basis. With this kids will learn responsibility and at the same time become compassionate for plants and nature around them.
Benefits Of Activities For 4 Year Olds.
Some of the benefits of educational activities for 4 year olds are mentioned below:
- Develops fine motor skills and creativity.
- Improves hand and eye coordination.
- Develops innovative and imaginative skills.
- Develops curiosity to learn new things.
- Develops vocabulary and language skills.
- Improves concentration and focus on things that they are interested in.
- Develops sensory and analytical skills.
- Improves letter recognition, word building and counting numbers.
- Develops critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Develops empathy, compassion and respect for others.
- Improves retention of information that they are learning.
OSMO offers exciting games that provide kids with a hands-on learning experience with a perfect combination of the physical and digital world. There are games that familiarize children with shapes, numbers, counting, alphabets, words, spellings, drawing, coding, etc. Explore the kids learning section to know more!
Frequently Asked Questions on Activities for 4 Year Olds
What are the Activities for 4 Year Olds?
Some of the Activities for 4 Year Olds are coloring, connecting the dots, watering the plants, building blocks, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, playdough, remote controlled bikes and cars, counting games and other engaging activities.
Why are Activities for 4 Year Olds important?
Activities for 4 Year Olds are important to them because they help them to improve their cognitive and creative skills. Moreover, these activities foster social skills and improve their decision making skills and critical thinking abilities.