Best Learning Activities For 2 Year Olds
If you are planning to spend some quality fun time with your little one, we are here with some of the most exciting activities for 2 year olds. Kids at this age are too young to understand anything that is taught verbally or in the textual form. They do require engaging activities that can attract their attention to learn something new. To enhance kids’ learning experience, you need to come up with learning activities for 2 year olds. Needless to say, these educational activities for 2 year olds can be performed at home while adding value to your child’s cognitive development.
If you’re looking for activities to do with 2 year olds? This is the right place to explore some fun activities for 2 year olds. It is very important for you to engage your child all the time with some or the other activities for their growth and development. This will not only help them academically but also acquire some important skills in their lives. Besides this, conducting activities for kids at home can trigger their fine motor skills and create interests in learning new things. Here are some of the activities for 2 year olds.
25 Fun Activities For 2 Year Olds
Wondering what to teach a 2 year old? There are extremely fun activities that you can conduct for kids in order to develop their gross motor skills. Including kinesthetic and art activities for kids can expand their creativity and thinking skills. Here are some of the activities for 2 year olds given below:
List Of Activities For 2 Year OIds
1. Wagon Counting: This is a fun activity for 2 year olds where you need to stick numbers starting from 1 to the wagons of a toy train. Kids have to speak out the number written on the wagons as and when the wagons cross them. This will teach them counting as they speak out one, two, three, four, etc. while looking at the different numbers written on the wagon.
2. Learning Together: Ask kids to form a small line and then they should say the consecutive numbers one by one. The first kid says ‘1’, the next one says ‘2’, the third one says ‘3’, so on and so forth. Kids feel a sense of enjoyment when they perform this activity together.
3. Count things around you: This is a very handy activity as you do not need anything in particular to perform this activity. Kids need to count things they see around them – the number of birds, cars, bikes, flowers, plants and other objects.
4. Trace alphabets on sand: Kids can trace and learn alphabets on the sand. Take kids to nearby gardens or beaches and watch them have fun while practicing alphabets.
5. Learning alphabets using blocks: Building blocks can be used in multiple ways to teach various things to kids. For instance, kids can write alphabets on colorful pieces of paper and paste them on distinct building blocks. Then, they can sort them such that all the alphabets written on different blocks are in correct order.
6. Learn by tagging: This is an exciting activity for 2 year olds where you need to tag things around them – bat, mat, apple, leaf, etc. by sticking small pieces of paper to these objects and writing their spellings on the pieces. Kids have to read the spellings of these words aloud and practice. Later, you can remove the tags and ask kids to re-tag the same objects by writing the spellings on other pieces of paper.
7. Find the missing letters: For this activity, you would need flashcards that have pictures of objects and their names with missing letters in their spellings. Kids have to identify the missing letters in each of the flash cards.
8. Paste it, Learn it: You will need a board and number stickers. To learn numbers faster, kids can practice this activity where you or any other instructor will speak a number – say 4. Kids have to find the sticker with the number ‘4’ and paste it on the board.
9. Trace it with brush paints: Tracing numbers is not something new for 2 year olds but tracing them with brush paints is! Using brush paints to trace numbers can be a surprising activity for children. Make them use vibrant colors to trace the numbers on sheets of papers.
10. Learning with playdough: Kids can learn numbers by moulding playdough in shapes of different digits. These educational activities for 2 year olds can be a great way to practice numbers.
11. Colored Papers: Cut colorful papers in small sizes and ask your child to recognize the color of those papers. You can even put a time limit like 5 to 10 seconds in which they need to respond with the correct color of the paper and offer the winners chocolates or goodies.
12. Sorting Colors: Building blocks are available in almost every home with kids. You can use these building blocks for color sorting activity where kids have to sort different blocks according to their colors i.e. they should keep all the red blocks together, all the green ones together, so on and so forth.
13. Finding shapes around: Shapes are all around us. Kids can practice shapes by trying to recognize different shapes around them – wheels, towers, poles, tables, etc.
14. Paint it to learn it: What’s better than learning shapes by drawing them yourself. Kids can draw and paint different shapes – triangle, rectangle, square, circle, sphere, cube, etc.
15. Heavier or Lighter: Take a glass jar and ask your 2 year old kid to put in used matchsticks and some stones. Ask them why the matchstick floats while stones sink into the water. With this activity, they will get introduced to the concept of heavy and light things.
16. Sorting by size: Take objects of different sizes and ask kids to sort these objects in ascending or descending order. You can take a pea, a marble, a rubber ball, a tomato, a bottle cap, a football, a lemon, etc. and watch your kid engage in sorting them in proper order.
17. Draw and paint: In this learning activity, kids have to draw different objects and color them with paint or crayons or sketch pens. They can draw and paint shapes, alphabets, fruits, flowers, etc.
18. Play with sand: Allow children to play in sand where they will develop their creativity skills. Take them to the beach where they can have fun playing with sand and fine tune their gross motor skills.
19. Water Plants: This is the indoor activities for 2 year olds where they can practice watering plants on a daily basis. Kids will tend to learn about the importance of plants and nature along with involving them in activities.
20. Cook with them: Kids are very interested in playing with kitchen utensils most of the time. You can give them tiny items that are found in the kitchen to play with. For example, small cups and spoons. They will watch you cooking and try to imitate using kitchen utensils.
21. Go for a nature walk: It is important that you encourage your child to love nature and understand the importance of resources around us. Take them for a nature walk where they see plants, insects, animals, water resources, etc.
22. Stack up glass: Kids at this age are curious about knowing things around them. Therefore, they like to explore anything that is given to them. In such situations, you can give plastic glasses and teach them to stack up. While doing this, they will try to arrange the cups with complete concentration and interest.
23. Paper crafts: This is one of the indoor activities for 2 year olds where you can show them paper crafts such as flowers, boats or any other interesting objects. Later, allow them to carry on with the craft irrespective of imperfection. It’s not important how the product turns out but it needs an effort from their side to try such activities.
24. Bedtime stories: To develop listening skills among kids from an early age, you can read them short poems or stories. This will make them listen and understand information that you are trying to convey.
25. Senses activity: How do you make kids understand the difference between senses in our body. It is better that you teach them with the help of activities for 2 year olds where they can learn about five important senses such as touch, smell, sight, hear and taste.
Benefits of Activities To Do With 2 Year Olds
Some of the benefits of activities for 2 year olds are mentioned below:
- Develops fine motor skills.
- Improves overall health.
- Builds strong muscle strength.
- Enhances learning experience.
- Engages and entertains the children.
Frequently Asked Questions on Learning Activities for 2 Year Olds
What are the Learning Activities for 2 Year Olds?
The Learning Activities for 2 Year Olds are finding the missing numbers, building blocks, tracing the letters, writing in the air, counting and numbering, learning new words, making crafts and arts, colored paper crafts, recognizing shapes, etc.
What are the benefits of Learning Activities for 2 Year Olds?
The benefits of Learning Activities for 2 Year Olds are that these activities improve kids’ fine and gross motor skills, keeps them entertained for an extended period of time, enhances their hand to eye coordination, and finally improves their social skills.