Teaching the alphabet is an elementary factor for reading and writing. By the age of 2, children start showing some interest in learning alphabets. However, parents and teachers can provide the kids with printable alphabet sheets and let them practice. While a few kids learn letters quickly, others require repetition and time to learn the alphabets.
ABC tracing worksheets play a vital role in teaching the alphabets. Teaching the alphabet is the basis of what the teachers guide in kindergarten for several months. There are many mobile (moving) components in the classroom that work together to help children learning the alphabet. Hence, The Kindergarten Connection, Sweet Sounds of Kinder, Kindergarten Smorgasboard, are a few games that involve kids in learning the alphabets.
Below given are a few factors a preschooler must be aware of in kindergarten:
- Sing or Recite the alphabet
- Recognize the uppercase letters
- Recognize lowercase letters
- Match lowercase letters to uppercase letters
- Recognize the sounds each letter makes
- Write the alphabets
- Trace letters
How to Teach ABC Alphabets to Kids?
- Read Aloud: The best method to teach kids the alphabet is to just let them practice. ABC writing practice helps the children learn quickly by improving their abc handwriting. As the parents and teachers follow their routine of reading aloud, they can show the letters and teach how to verbally pronounce each alphabet. And it’s always fun to read books that contain the alphabet. It is also wonderful to place these books on the kids’ writing table to inspire them to write. They are one of the best jump starters for stories.
- Teach the Students the Letters in their Names: Children would see the alphabets in their name and listen to the sounds in those letters. Hence, it makes sense to begin there. In addition to this, kids can be introduced to alphabet tracing pages. Make sure to visit Osmo’s website for a variety of creative ideas to teach, by clicking on ABC Learning for Kids.
- Add Music and Dance: It is crucial for the kids to regularly practice the abc writing worksheet. Also, it is important for the parents and teachers to incorporate music the kids already know into the teaching process. Later, as the academic year goes on, if the tutors still wish to continue to teach the alphabets, the children may get quite bored with the same old music. However, they can be taught to sing backwards with some light dance. If the teaching sessions are interactive, kids love to learn.
- Follow the Curriculum: This is quite significant as the teachers and parents don’t want the little ones to get confused. If the state or district has a prescribed syllabus, make a note of it and teach them. Add it where the kids can learn with fun and interactive activities. If there is no prescribed curriculum, decide how the kids can be taught and give them the abc writing sheet. There are many concepts on what works with a batch of children, however, research says that a letter a day is right and a letter a week is better. However, kids can also be taught two letters a week.
- Place Learning the Alphabet into the Centres: Centres are where the kids are usually provided with alphabet writing practice sheets pdf and get acquainted with the skills they are being taught. Hence, it is significant that throughout the year, parents have the alphabet covered in the activities. Each child has her or his own likes and dislikes; a kid may like old flashcards on binder rings while another child might prefer swinging to the music while learning.
- Track the Children’s Growth: Another significant part of teaching the alphabet is by giving them abc practice sheet and asking them to fill up all the blanks and assess. Another method to keep a track of the children’s growth is by using Checklist Assessments to note what alphabets the children can and cannot sound name, and write. This helps the teachers to be able to pull the groups and guide on what the kids require.
- Include Crafts and Make them Fun: It is important to comprehend that the little learners require activities and crafts to create meaning. Again many activities and skills can be followed, however, Alphabet Hats can be great fun.
- Alphabet Puzzles: Teaching alphabets with letter puzzles and letter practice sheets are a great method for teaching the alphabets. This can become their favorite puzzle. It’s a wonderful wooden puzzle with clear and neat images. This is the best way to practice vocabulary activities and verbal skills, too.
- Sensory Activities: A few children learn letters quickly by using the letter practice sheets, whereas others may require more attention and time to learn the alphabets. Children learn noticeably more when they have many multisensory activities with letters. Parents and teachers can incorporate sensory play into teaching alphabet letters. When kids indulge in meaningful activities they begin to pick up on alphabetical names.
Osmo also provides a wide range of Christmas Crafts for Kids for the benefit of children.