Shapes are an intrinsic part of our lives. From circular plates and rectangular doors, square cabinets to triangular roofs, the world around is filled with shapes. Learning shapes are a crucial part of children’s education. It helps them in identifying and organizing visual information and acquiring skills that will help them with learning math and science. Other than these skills, shape recognition using 3D shapes worksheets are also necessary for children to learn numbers, alphabets, signs and symbols. These worksheets for kids are a great tool to enhance your children’s know
Kids start identifying shapes from a very young age. They have toys in different shapes and they’re always sorting them to choose the ones they prefer. However, this doesn’t mean they know what those shapes mean or what they’re called. When they’re ready to start learning about shapes, start with 2D shapes (flat shapes). Start with simple shapes like circles, rectangles, triangles and squares. Then move on to 3D shapes. Introduce preschool shapes worksheets for kids in the beginning and, gradually move on to complex worksheets.
Free Printable 3D Shapes Worksheets
Once your kids know how to identify and differentiate between 2D shapes and 3D shapes, they need to practice. A great way to introduce them to the names of different shapes and their characteristics is through math worksheets for kids like 3D shapes worksheets. Additionally, by practicing on these 3D shapes worksheets, they’ll be able to retain the information faster. Here are some worksheets for kids on 3D shapes. These worksheets will help kids learn to identify different 3D shapes and name them.
3D Shapes Kindergarten Worksheet
Identify the 3D shapes in the worksheet and circle them. This help them identify and memorize the shapes effectively, for example cylinder, cuboid, cube, etc. Check out the 3D shapes kindergarten worksheet for kids given below.
3D Shapes Practice Worksheet
Coloring help children understand the concept they are learning efficiently. Therefore, you can introduce 3D shapes worksheets to kids for coloring and learning different shapes to gain geometrical knowledge. Kids can retain the shapes in their memory through coloring. Check out the 3D shapes practice worksheet for kids given below.
Match the 2D Shape to the Appropriate 3D Shape Worksheet
To teach differentiation between 2D and 3D shapes to kids, you can use the worksheets given below. Help children learn the properties and characteristics of shapes creatively.
Features of 3D Shapes Worksheet
Identify the 3D shape and write the appropriate number of attributes for each shape. In this worksheet, kids must learn to identify the faces, edges and vertices of illustrated 3D shapes. Check out the 3D shapes worksheet for kids given below.
Tips to teach kids about 3D shapes
- Comparing 2D and 3D shapes: The first thing that children need to learn, when they’re learning about 3d shapes, is that 3D shapes are solid. they’re not flat like 2D shapes and they have corners, edges and faces. Compare 2D and 3D shapes in front of them to show them the similarities and differences between the two.
- 3D shapes with a word mat/chart: Children are visual learners, they need to see to be able to learn things. A simple chart with the names and images of the 3D shapes will help children learn to identify them better. The word mat or chart should also feature the features of each of the 3D shapes like faces, edges and vertices (corners).
- Connect to real-life objects: Connecting shapes to real-life objects help kids to recognize and understand the different 3D shapes. Additionally, it helps the child to connect the concept of shapes to the world around them.
- Sorting: Sorting is a great game to help your child learn about 3D shapes. One of the best ways to do this activity is to use real-world objects. So not only do they learn about 3D shapes, but children can also learn about their different attributes by feeling the objects. To do this activity, place a tub with some marbles, blocks, cones and other manipulatives and ask the children to sort them according to shape. The children will have to place these objects in appropriately labeled containers or tubs. <
- STEM activity to learn 3D shapes: Children usually learn better when they are involved in a hands-on and engaging activity. Crafting is a fun and engaging way to help your child learn. Get your child to make their own 3D shapes using popsicle sticks, playdough or marshmallows to learn about building these shapes. Help your child glue together popsicle sticks or marshmallows or small pieces of playdough to construct their own 3D shapes. Provide them with a picture and help them to make cubes, pyramids, cylinders and so on. Once they’re done building the shapes, have them touch and feel and record the features. For example: Have your child tell you how many sides, edges and vertices a cube has.
- Revise and consolidate the learning: Once the child knows how to identify a shape and list its attributes, it’s always good to review what they’ve learnt. 3D shapes worksheets are a great tool to help review a child’s knowledge of the different shapes and their attributes. Additionally, practising on these Preschool Shapes Worksheets will help consolidate their learning so they can identify these shapes instantly.
For example: Place a glass tumbler and a circle drawn on a piece of paper on a flat surface in front of your child. Explain to them that the glass tumbler is a cylinder. Lift the glass tumbler and pour some water into it. Now ask your child to hold the paper with the circle and pour water into it. You’ll notice that the water just falls off the paper. So, explain to your child that a cylinder can hold water, while a circle cannot. For more games, visit Shape Games for Kids.
Start by having the child connect the right shape to the right name. Then introduce the proper names of the features, like faces, edges and vertices and the number of features that the shape has. Test your child by covering the names and attributes of the shapes and ask them to identify the shapes by the images. Repeat the activity with the word mat if they can’t identify them easily.
For example: Show your child a ball and an orange to help them understand the concept of spheres. Or, you can show them an ice-cream cone to help them understand the concept of cones. And you can show them a glass tumbler to explain the concept of a cylinder to them.
Another way to perform this activity is to use pre-printed images and a chart. The kids will have to pin the shape in the appropriate category, like a prism, pyramid, sphere, etc. Or, you can ask children to point out real-world images of 3d shapes from magazines or newspapers.
Check out these amazing popsicle stick crafts for kids on Osmo.
Benefits of Using 3D Shapes Worksheets
Some of the benefits of using 3D shapes worksheets for kids are given below.
- Help in identification of shapes: Using worksheets help children learn to identify and differentiate shapes based on their characteristics, such as faces, edges and vertices. They can easily identify the shapes with the help of worksheets.
- Improves retention: Learning 3D shapes from worksheet help children to remember them for a longer period of time. They can easily identify the shapes whenever they encounter.
- Increases understanding of mathematical concepts: Acquiring knowledge of 3D shapes help children to understand concepts related to shapes easily. Due to this knowledge, they can solve geometric problems with speed and accuracy. Moreover, kids can relate the shapes with the real-life examples for better understanding.
- Improves academic performance: Practicing worksheets is an effective way to learn concepts that are challenging for kids to understand. And this help them improve their academic performance. They can score good marks in mathematics and other related subjects.
Frequently Asked Questions on 3D Shapes Worksheet
What are the different types of 3D Shapes Worksheet?
The different types of 3D Shapes Worksheet are recognize the shapes and write down the number of the sides for every shape, match a 3D shape with a 2D shape, recognize the appropriate shapes in the 3D Shapes Worksheet, and identify the shape and color accordingly.
How to teach 3D Shapes to kids?
You can introduce the concept of 3D shapes to kids in these simple ways, firstly, begin by teaching them to identify the shapes, then let them compare and match the 3D shapes with the 2D shapes, and help kids to connect the shapes to real life objects that are easily available at home.