Learning 2nd Grade Spelling Words is important for kids to learn how to read and write effortlessly. A vast vocabulary helps 2nd graders learn better reading, writing and language skills. This is why it’s important to teach 2nd grade spelling words to kids in 2nd grade. To help you with your task, we’ve put together a list of second grade spelling words. Teach these words with spelling games for kids to make learning more fun and engaging.
200+ 2nd Grade Spelling Words List to Improve Your Child’s Vocabulary
Here is a list of spelling words that every second grader should know. This list will help kids learn how to spell, read, write and communicate better.
List of Second Grade Spelling Words:
Engaging Activities to Learn Grade 2 Spelling Words
Learning how to spell words is a basic skill that all kids must master. Here are 8 interactive and creative ways to help kids practice 2nd grade spelling words. Start with easy spelling words, then gradually increase the level of difficulty. You can also conduct fun activities like a spelling bee to help your little one learn 2nd grade spelling words.
List Of Activities to Learn 2nd Grade Spelling Words
- Spelling Word Origami Fortune Teller: Paper fortune tellers or cootie catchers are wonderful games for kids. Make a simple cootie catcher and write second grade spelling words on each side. Then fold the cootie catcher and play the game as usual. Instead of a fortune, say a word aloud and ask the kids to spell it.
- Word Swatter: These are nothing but simple fly swatters, which the children will use to swat second grade spelling words. Make a chart with 2nd-grade spelling words and hand the children a word swatter. Read out a word loudly from the chart and ask the child to find the word and swat it with the word swatter.
- Magnetic Letters, Alphabet Blocks or Scrabble tiles: These toys are great tools to help children learn how to spell the words. Say a second grade spelling word aloud and ask the children to spell it using the magnetic letters or alphabet blocks or scrabble tiles.
- Trace the Words in Rainbow Colors: Coloring is one among a child’s favorite activities. So, help your 2nd grader learn spelling words by tracing and coloring them. Print the second grade spelling words in large letters on a sheet of chart paper. Then, ask your child to trace the letters and color them to form the word.
- Word Search puzzle: Word search puzzles are a great way to help kids learn new words. Print a word search puzzle with grade 2 spelling words and ask your child to find all the words hidden in the puzzle. Check out these word search puzzles for kids.
- Crossword puzzles: Crossword puzzles are another great way to help kids learn how to spell words. Additionally, this activity also helps children learn the meaning of the word too. Print a crossword puzzle for grade 2 spelling words and ask the kids to solve the puzzle. Check out these crossword puzzles for kids.
- ‘What Letter is Missing?’: This spelling game is quite similar to Hangman, where kids will have to guess the letters to make the word. Draw dashes or blank spaces for the number of letters in the word. Then ask the child to guess the letters to fill the blank space to complete the word.
- Highlight the Words in the Newspaper: This is a great activity to help children learn grade 2 spelling words and improve their vocabulary. Give the child a highlighter and a newspaper. Now, ask the child to find all the second grade spelling words and highlight them. Not only does it help them learn words and how to spell, it also enhances their reading skills.
Benefits of Learning 2nd Grade Spelling Words
Here are some benefits of learning 2nd grade spelling words:
- Improves language skills.
- Develops critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Improves academic performance.
- Enables kids to make meaningful sentences.
- Provides opportunities to explore and discover things around them.
- Enables kids to converse effectively with others.
For more word lists, activities, games and worksheets to make learning fun, check our kids learning section.
Frequently Asked Questions on 2nd Grade Spelling Words
What are some of the simple 2nd Grade Spelling Words?
Some of the simple 2nd Grade Spelling Words are give, take, sit, stand, silly, apple, treat, trick, wish, such, clean, deep, happy, smile, joy, call, boat, ship, sheep, sheer, animal, another, between, etc.
What are the activities that help kids to learn 2nd Grade Spelling Words?
Some of the activities that help kids to learn 2nd Grade Spelling Words are regular reading practice, motivating the kids to read the newspapers and magazines, filling in the blanks, solving crossword puzzles, tracing the words, scrabble and act it out games.