Easy 2nd Grade Spelling Words List To Improve Vocabulary
2nd Grade Spelling Words act as a catalyst between the children and the teachers. As the children learn spelling and writing, they are expected to come home with a 2nd grade spelling words list. It’s their mission to study and understand the words. However, just looking at them isn’t always going to do the trick, instead they certainly require some tools to help them remember the words. For that, the best way is to conduct spelling activities for kids in order to get acquainted with words.
Second-grade spelling words must be taught quite slowly; like, 8 – 10 words per week are suitable for most 2nd-grade children. Encourage the child to use the spelling words frequently, in fantastic tales from their imagination. Grade 2 Spelling Words must be taught to the children on a daily basis. To do that, incorporate spelling games for kids in the curriculum so that they understand what they are learning.
Common 2nd Grade Spelling Words List For Kids
The 2nd grade spelling list is an excellent resource for parents, teachers and students. Use these words for verbal and written communication. There are many literacy games for kids where you can utilise these words to conduct 2nd grade spelling tests. With this, young learners will have opportunities to learn in a creative way.
List Of 2nd Grade Spelling Words For Kids
Engaging Activities To Learn Grade 2 Spelling Words
Here are eleven interactive and creative ways to practice spelling words. Once the children become familiar with the grade 2 spelling words, it’s time to test their knowledge by giving them a 2nd-grade spelling test. Apart from learning easy spelling words, kids can even take part in spelling bee words for grade 2 to enhance their vocabulary skills. These 2nd grade spelling bee words not only improve their spelling but also develop thinking skills.
List Of Activities To Learn 2nd Grade Spelling Words
- Prepare a Spelling Word Origami Fortune Teller: These are also called Cootie Catchers. It is easy enough to prepare the spelling word Cootie Catchers, and having the child spell the word out loud is suitable for sensory learners. In addition to this activity, kids can be given 2nd-grade spelling bee words, enhancing their spelling capabilities.
- Make and Use a ‘Word Catcher’: These transformed fly swatters can be fun to use. Give the kid a copy of their spelling words, and you might be amazed to see how excited they are to begin swatting the words in all the magazines, posters, books and papers at home. Children can refer to the 2nd-grade spelling words list provided above.
- Magnetic Letters, Alphabet Blocks or Scrabble Pieces: Reading the words aloud can help an auditory learner. Forming the phrase can help more visual learners.
- Play Spelling Word Memory: There are a few methods to do this. Parents and teachers can make 2 sets of flashcards with the spelling words – it is a great idea to write each group in a different color – or they can make one set with the words and one with the meanings. Later, students can play other Memory games. The above-provided grade 2 spelling words are printable 2nd-grade spelling words.
- Trace the Words in Rainbow Colors: This is a variation on the old ‘write your words ten times’ homework. The child has to trace each word repeatedly to remember the sequence of the alphabets for each word. In the end, it’s quite easier than a simple word list.
- Make Word Searches: This is an activity that is simple enough with online resources. Osmo is a fantastic site that helps parents and teachers search the words and create other vocabulary activities for kids.
- Write a Story Using Each Spelling Word: Often, teachers ask children to do this with their spelling words for homework, but one can add a twist by giving their students a concept to write down or tell a story aloud. For instance, challenge a kid to write an essay about the animal kingdom.
- Act Them Out: One can do it in different ways – give the child a list of the words, ask them to guess which is being acted out. Otherwise, place all the words in a tray and ask them to pick one and act it out.
- Puzzles: What can be more interesting than learning words through puzzles. Kids enjoy playing with puzzles to learn new words. It develops concentration and focus towards learning. There are numerous puzzles for kids available online.
- Place Them in Alphabetical Order: Alphabetizing the list won’t significantly help the students learn the spelling bee words for grade 2. It enables them to recognize and read the words. For a few children, just moving the strips on which each word is written can help them retain the word in their visual memory.
- ‘What Letter is Missing?’: Quite different from Hangman and similar to the ‘Add-a-Letter’, this game is played either by typing the words or writing, however, leaving a blank space for key letters. The students must fill in the correct letters. This works incredibly well to practice the vowel sounds.
- Highlight the Words in the Newspaper: Provide a child with a highlighter and a pile of newspapers. Now, ask the child to find out all the keywords and highlight them.
- Practice words: Once the child is acquainted with words, they need regular practice in order to enhance their understanding and retention of the words for a longer time. There is a substantial list of worksheets for kids to practice 2nd grade spelling words.
Benefits of Learning 2nd Grade Spelling Words
Some of the benefits of learning 2nd grade spelling words are mentioned below:
- Improves language skills.
- Develops critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Improves academic performance.
- Enables kids to make meaningful sentences.
- Provides opportunities to explore and discover things around them.
- Enables kids to converse effectively with others.
Osmo also provides a wide range of 2nd Grade Sight Words, and more for the benefit of children.