Learning to spell can be challenging for many 1st grade students. Spellings are an important aspect of writing. Thus, kids need to know the spellings of certain words. There are a lot of spelling activities that a kid can participate in to improve their spelling skills.
1st grade spelling words should follow basic consonant-vowel-consonant format. For example, DAD, MOM, MAD, SAD, HAD, CAT, BAT, FAT, SAT, etc.
Then, it should follow four-letter words with the first and second letters as consonants. For example, TR-sounding words such as TREE, FR-sounding words such as FREE or FROG. There are many such rules that are applicable to 1st grade spelling words.
Teaching 1st grade students how to spell words is a time taking task. It is obvious that they won’t learn the spellings at once. Be patient while teaching kids how to spell. Remember, every kid learns at their own pace. So, they should not feel overwhelmed while learning to spell new words.
How can parents/teachers develop a kid’s spelling skills?
If you are a parent or teacher, you might know the pain of teaching kids how to spell. It is naturally difficult to remember so many words’ spelling in one go. Well, there is no need to worry. We have listed down the ways to develop foundational spelling skills:
- Writing regularly: Writing a word, again and again, is the best practice to remember its spelling. Also, you can take dictation of kids where you will pronounce a word and they have to write it down. This will assess their knowledge of spellings.
- Reading consistently: Children must be asked to read often. Reading allows them to focus on the spellings of some words. Your job here is to listen to how they pronounce a certain word and correct them if they are wrong.
- Imparting the knowledge of spelling rules: There are certain spelling rules like the relationship between letters and sounds. Kids must be taught the same.
- Playing spelling-related quizzes, games, or word games: This is a fun and interactive experience for kids which makes learning simpler.
- Organizing Spelling Bee: A spelling bee is a spelling contest. You can organize a spelling bee at your home or school in which kids can participate. This would be more interesting if there are a large number of kids. The list of first grade spelling bee words can be availed online.
- Setting a time daily for a spelling test: Learning to spell needs practice. Parents must set a time for their kids to practice spellings. This way, learning spellings will be a part of the kid’s routine.
1st Grade Spelling Words List
Wondering what spellings first-grade students must know? We provide some from the 1st grade spelling words list:
Building a strong spelling foundation is a tough job. That’s why there is a need for fun activities. Some of the spelling word activities for 1st grade are mentioned below:
- Word Treasure Hunt: Setting a treasure hunt with different words as a hint is a great way to learn spellings.
- Create a printable spelling dictionary: Design a printable spelling dictionary and encourage kids to use it as a reference to seeking the spelling of words commonly used while writing.
- Get Printable letter Stamp: Buy the alphabet stamps and teach your kids how to use these stamps to spell correctly.
- Spelling word search puzzle: This is a popular puzzle among students. Create a grid of random letters or you can download the same. Kids have to search for words vertically, horizontally and diagonally. Solving this puzzle would be fun for kids as they would love to find hidden words in the puzzle.
The ability to spell comes naturally to some kids and not so easily to others. Readers need to have an understanding of both sight words and phonics words to become good readers. Focusing on both kinds of words during spelling classes is a great way to help words stay in kids’ minds for a longer time. You can download printable spelling words for 1st grade and teach your kids how to spell.